Is it time to pimp my brakes?

Finecactus
Finecactus Posts: 33
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I replaced my cable brakes for Shimano Deore's last summer. And been very pleased with the performance.

I think they must have done about 300 miles now (XC and 3 or 4 times at Cannock). They still pull me up okay but they don't have a sharp feel to them that I would perhaps rather.

Had a bike service about a month ago and was told all was well with the pads etc. So I was wondering if its worth putting better pads in or changing the discs?

Does anyone have a suggestion of the type of pads worth going for and discs? The discs I am using are the same ones I had with the cable brakes.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What pads are in there at the minute? Deore are powerful brakes. Also what rotors and weight are you?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Won't make a difference at all, sharpness of braking is all to do with the brakes, not pads and certainly not discs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Mine have gone the same. They were the first brakes I've had for years that managed to throw me over the bars :roll:

I think mine might just be a bit greasy or need the bite point adjusting.
  • supersonic wrote:
    What pads are in there at the minute? Deore are powerful brakes. Also what rotors and weight are you?

Don't know what pads are in at the moment, what ever came with the Deore's. The rotors are marked as Shimano RT51's they look about 6 inches. And I am about 12 stone :shock: