Help with headset choice

Mjolnir
Mjolnir Posts: 58
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Hi,
I could use a little help choosing the right headset for my bike. I'm getting a little lost and confused so I need the help of you experts.

I have an Orange Crush 2012 frame which originally took a fork with a tapered steerer but i'd like to use a standard 1 1/8" steerer all the way through.

The details on the Orange website say I want a ZS44/28.6|ZS56/40 headset but i'm still a little lost.

I have the original tapered headset which means the top cups should be fine but I need a new lower cup to fit my narrower steerer. I'm not adverse to buying a whole new headset if I need to but is there an adapter or something that i could use instead?

If you could point me to the actual part that I need I would be eternally grateful.

Cheers

Rob.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hope do an adaptor that fits on the fork and then you use the original 'tapered crown race' (it's available on ebay), probably your cheapest option.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mjolnir
    Thanks for the help.
    Is this the sort of thing you mean? Does it sit over the race in the lower cup and the steerer sits against it?

If that's the one i'll order it right away.

Cheers.

Rob.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's the one, you fit it direct to your 1 1/8th steerer fork (no crown race fitted on the forks) and then fit the crown race from the tapered headset to it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mjolnir
    Perfect, thank you very much.
    I owe you a pint.

Cheers

Rob.