Rear wheel options

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Have an old Marim in the garage that I want to get fixed up as a 3rd bike :). Main thing wrong with it is the rear hub is totally gone - bearings actually rolled out.... The wheel itself is okay, but I'm wondering what the options are?:
- can you buy a rear wheel with freehub already installed and attach the disc? Would all discs be compatible?
- I assume a less expensive option is to fit a new freehub - how technically challenging is that? And how do I go about selecting the correct hub?
Thanks guys

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    What hub is already on there?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New rear wheel is probably easiest. Hub to match the rotor - 6 bolt or splined.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure what you are on about, the freehub rarely has loose bearings, it's the hub that does, so why replace the freehub which it looks unlikely to fix your problem? Or are you confusing the 2? (the hub is the bit that spins on the bearings round the axle, the freehub is the bit the cassette goes on and then freewheels when you stop pedaling)

Yes of course you can buy a complete rear wheel, in fact I've never seen one for sale without a freehub installed.

99.99% of disc fittings are one of 6bolt IS or Splined.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.