Replacing Weinman Brakes

thefartingcockeral
thefartingcockeral Posts: 394
edited May 2013 in The workshop
Hi all.
I have aexcellent condition 25 year old Raleigh Equipe which I use fof commuting ti work on. After many years of use the front and back brakes are,dead.
What does anyone suggest to repalce them with.
Any advice would be great.
Cheers all.

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I'd replace with a modern dual pivot set of brakes, all you really need to know is the brake drop (centre of the bolt that goes through the frame/fork to centre of the brake pad in a diagonal line) and whether the brake bolt is recessed in the frame/fork or extends out the back.
    If it extends out the back (I'm guessing it does due to the age of your bike) you can either drill out the frame/fork to accept a recessed bolt or if that's too daunting get these Tektro brakes if your brake drop is 55>73mm.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tektro-tektr ... prod24459/
    Or these if it's 47>57mm
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektro-R359-D ... 0870041273
  • Many thanks for the reply. Those were the brakes I was looking at as well.cheers
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Why are they dead? I'm using 25yo Weinman brakes on my RRS commuter with fresh pads, are they actually damaged?
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Hi,
    The brake levers and calipers work ok. it just the blocks don't seem to stop the wheels that well.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Hi,
    The brake levers and calipers work ok. it just the blocks don't seem to stop the wheels that well.

Errrr, get better blocks!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Yes I know....my bad.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yep, you don't need to replace the brakes - just the blocks. That said, the Weinmanns can be a bit crap at staying centred. If they do, rather than spoil the bike with modern brakes you can, if patient, source Suntour Superbe brakes on Ebay. They look similar, but better, than the Weinmanns and need less adjustment. They are excellent quality and look the part. I've put them on my old Raleigh Record Ace. Paid about £20 the pair. Just need to make sure you get the right bolts though, if not, you can probably use the Weinmann bolts.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • What replacement brake bl8cks do you suggest.
  • Naugas
    Naugas Posts: 10
    I've had good experiences with brake blocks that looks exactly like these - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/clarks-road- ... prod22563/ - can't promise they are identical to what I've used though...
  • pessimal
    pessimal Posts: 58
    I have some of these brakes mounted on my wifes bike of a similar age

the rear are directly mounted to the frame with a centre bolt and always move when she brakes, and one side then rubs against the rim untill they are manually moved off.

are they supposed to be mounted with something like a star washer to stop them moving, or just butted against the frame?

thanks