Shimano Deore confusion

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited April 2013 in MTB general
I've just recently bought some Shimano Deore "hollowtech" 48t 3 speed crankset but once i bought them, i found that the cranks say hollowtech, but have a square taper.

I also want to know if it was an alright buy as they are almost immaculate (apart from a bit of arm wear) and weigh roughly 800g for £25?

I'm a bit confused by this but can anyone explain?
:mrgreen:
Thanks
My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Hollow tech is hollow arms, hollow tech ii (HTII) is more external type bb with a hollow axel ect
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    Thanks. I didn't know there were 2 different meanings of hollowtech in chainsets.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    There isn't. Hollowtech is the arms. There is just two type of Hollowtech chainsets. 1 is internal bound BBs and 2 is external BBs.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    MTB noob wrote:
    Thanks. I didn't know there were 2 different meanings of hollowtech in chainsets.

Your confusing Shimano Octalink or square taper crank spindles. Hollowtech is the crank arm type.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    My head hurts. Isn't hollowtech just the BB/crank interface? What does it have to do with the crank arms?
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    The arms are hollow ! That means a bit lighter than the cheaper Shimano solid forged ones. That's all it means.

I used to have a non-series shimano crankset with both Hollowtech and Octalink stickers on.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    My head hurts. Isn't hollowtech just the BB/crank interface? What does it have to do with the crank arms?

All hail...
    Hollowtech ®
    Shimano's name for the hollow forged cranks used with Octalink ® splined bottom brackets. These lightweight cranks are made by welding two forged aluminum channels together.
    Hollowtech II ®
    The two-piece crank /bottom bracket system introduced with the 2004 10-speed Shimano Dura-Ace line. These use external bearings that hang outboard from the bottom bracket shell.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ho-z.html#hollowtech