Elixer 5 Repair or New Deores?

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Sorry guys another question!

On my Norco DH bike I have a set of Avid Elixer 5s
On my Cube XC Bike I have a set of Hayes Rydes

Now the rear hose on the Avids has worn through (due to tyre rub I think, bit strange but there you go) from looking online it looks like £30 for a new hose and I would need to get a bleed kit too so thats more money (not actually checked prices for that yet)

Chain Reaction currently have new Deores at £40 each
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67246

My main question is would the Deores be able to match the Elixers? Could I realistically use them for DH? They have a nice short lever which I like too.

If not then I could always put the Deores on the XC bike and then move the Rydes over to the DH bike unless anyone knows a reason why I shouldn't? Just cant help feeling that repairing the Avids is gonna be more expensive than the Deores, and I keep reading good things about Shimano and bad things about Avid.

Sorry for the long post!
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    If you can stretch to it the Shimano SLX brakes would be a good choice rather than Deore.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Deores will be fine. As powerful as SLX, just marginally heavier, and reach adjust by allen key instead of a knob.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But I'm also sure you can get a hose for less than £30
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • trigger118
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • cooldad
    Makes the Deores ar bargain at £40.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • trigger118
    That was my thinking. Cheers cooldad
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • cooldad
    I'm used to Shimano - bit of hose, an olive and spiky thing, job done for a tenner.
    Never had Avids, the kits look expensive, but not sure if you can't just get the odd bits cheaper than the kit.
    Saying that you could probably get a chunk of money bck selling the Avids.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • trigger118
    Yeah that's true, had figured I would keep them knocking about as spares but I could sell them I guess.

The great news is I have managed to think of another question :) my third in a couple of days, bet you guys just love me ;)

I'm in the process of ordering some new tires off chain reaction, Maxxis Minions to be precise, now all the reviews say order the size up cause Maxxis come up small. My cube came with 2.25 Schwalbes on it, theres not a massive amount of clearance at the front. 2.35 Maxxis should be fine right? Please say yes :P
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I ride with 2.35 minions on my bike. It depends on the width of your rims on how wide they stretch but they are thinner than any other 2.35 i have seen. The clearance should not be an issue as they are probably not as wide as your current schwalbes especially with an XC rim. Definitely a good choice though! Seriously grippy in all sorts of conditions.
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    I have just this morning changed my Avid Eixer R's, to Shimano Deores as the reviews are fantastic , went for a blast round Cannock and im seriously impressed ! iv never got on with Avid and ill certainly never go back to them, The Shimanos are incredible for the price and unless your Steve Pete then im sure they are all you will ever need , fantastic moderation and awesome stopping power , the factory bleed was not to bad, but I re-bled them my self and there so so easy compared to the Avid's witch I could never get right , I was tempted to got for the XT's but as reviews were so good I thought for the money I could not go wrong , Hope this helps ! Any questions just ask :)
  • trigger118
    Thats good to hear mate, can I ask what sort of riding you do on them? And what was the hose lengths like, am I probably going to need to trim them?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    mainly black runs , downhill , trail centers and afew weekends riding in wales ect , they get a good battering anyway :P !! the hose length for the rear Deore is 1700mm witch is ridiculously long ! haha :P I cant remember the length of the front it needed a chop tho , my bars are 680mm I think :) and my frame is 19" :)
  • trigger118
    Ah ok, gonna have to get a bleed kit too then if I'm gonna need to chop, a useful thing to have around anyway I guess,

Cheers for your help mate
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • trigger118
    Can I still use my current adaptors does anyone know? I see no reason why not, maybe different numbers of spacers/washers but same adaptors surely?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM