TdF 2014

d4evr
d4evr Posts: 293
edited April 2013 in Pro race
Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes anyway. Looking to come down from Scotland for the first two stages and I'm looking for places/recommendations for places to stay. Obviously I would want to be fairly close to some of the good climbs etc. (I know I will have to be up and about early to travel up to a decent viewing point) so what I'm really after is some recommendations for accommodation, static vans or lodges would be ideal for me, and suggestions of where to watch. I know it's a bit of a way of but I'd like to get booked up as soon as I can. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    The biggest climb on stage 1 will be buttertubs which will be closed early so I would stay as close as possible. There are two other climbs but nothing difficult north of Grassington and then south of Reeth.

For buttertubs, hawes to the south will most likely be the destination for many spectators to travel towards and then walk upto buttertubs. Limited road network though means roads to hawes will be locked down so that there aren't queuing problems. Parking sites will arranged though.

All of the villages and towns on the route are gearing up for staging events to keep visitors occupied. Hopefully with big screens, French markets and so on to entertain cycling fans, families and tourists alike.

Not really sure about stage 2 but Holme moss is the big climb. Again I imagine it will be closed early.
  • d4evr
    Thanks TheFog, that gives me something to work towards. I did know Buttertubs was the big climb just didn't exactly know where it was. I did fully expect to walk or ride up to a decent vantage point, the wife and kids won't walk far so a village or town with things on would suit them. Thanks again!
  • If it's anything like it was when it came to Kent they close the roads the night before. If you can stay in Hawes (or Hardraw) you can walk up to the Buttertubs. If they use the road out of Grinton (which it seems to show) then the climb out of there is reasonably tough and also the one out of Wharfdale isn't too bad. I've always found the Buttertubs reasonably easy as the gradient's not too bad.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    It is a nasty little climb out of Grinton. The road then goes past the drive of the Youth Hostel. So as soon as the route was published, I booked us in there for two nights! I've no intention of chasing the event around. Grinton is well into the stage so hopefully the peleton will have split up a bit by then.
    We will be parked up the day before and will just totter to the end of the drive with our chairs and hamper of goodies and enjoy the day in the sunshine for which Yorkshire is famous :D
    Alternatively we can dive back into the hostel to dry ourselves out and make hot drinks as needed.
    When I have been to Grinton in the past, the food (and ale) has been good, and I'm sure they will have a TV set up to watch the finish or highlights.
    They may well be fully booked by now, of course....
    At the bottom of the hill is Dales Bike Centre who have an excellent tearoom and bunkhouse, and will probably be planning a celebration or two.
    Excellent area for biking, so we will take road or mountain bikes and get out on the Fri and Sunday.
    Exciting isn't it?
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    PS. If the family are fussy eaters, you can cater for yourself at youth hostels.
    Grinton YH also has timber camping pods, and camping as well I think.
    Plenty of gentle country walks from Grinton. Reeth is an interesting little town and a bit further Richmond has a castle etc for family entertainment. Hawes is also a good family location.
  • d4evr
    Thanks for the info guys, it's all being written down, I promise. Sunshine in Yorkshire? I know this, it will be a lot drier than we are used to lol. I hope to get something booked up this weekend or next week at the latest. Your suggestions Flite sound our (I really mean me) type of place and the type of place I had in mind, before taking the good lady and the kids over to Flamingo Land :-(
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    PM me later in the year, more details will be available about road closures, events and more.

Closures will be in place very early though - anyone wanting to get to the dales spectator hubs for example will need to be up early! Due to the road network, there will also be restrictions on those trying to drive from one point to another - cyclists will however be encouraged.
  • d4evr
    Thanks TheFog, I will take you up on that. Yeah I fully expect to be up very very early to walk or cycle up to a good vantage point. If it were up to me I'd camp or bivvy on the hills to see it but the good lady and mini good lady are not so keen, no where to plug their hair dryers in etc etc etc etc. lol
  • I'm a very happy bunny to be based in Catterick so I can cycle up there within the hour!
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    As far as stage 2 is concerned, yes, Holme Moss is the biggest climb of the day, but as it's quite far from the finish there's more chance (like on Buttertubs stage 1 BTW) that the bunch will go over in group at steady pace. It could still be a good place to watch, but unlike stage 1, stage 2 has a load of short steep hills closer to the finish where it will break up, and you'll be able to see attacks and see the peloton come past in bits and pieces. Good places to watch should be all the hills between Langsett and the finish, like Kirk Edge Road just after High Bradfield, Jawbone Hill out of OUghtibridge, and Jenkin Road, 5 km for the finish.
    Sheffield is the obvious base for pretty much all of that, but if you prefer a village with views, walks, pubs, etc, Bradfield's not a bad choice. Mind, it's divided into High and Low Bradfield, and the road between them is quite steep :)
  • d4evr
    Thanks for all of that FJS, it's all noted down and will be added to our invasion plan, sorry I mean trip! ;-)