Cycling in New York City

BigLights
BigLights Posts: 464
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Hello folks

so...looks like I'm headed for a transfer out to NYC with work this year, for at least a few years. Very exciting! However, as a hardened and committed daily commuter in all weathers, I'm seriously keen to commute by bike there, too (probably about 9 miles from Brooklyn to the office).

On the offchance, does anyone have any experience re NYC cycling? as in, should I be managing my own expectations that it's just not a good idea, or do you think it's as feasible as London?

Comments

• Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Hey hey. I don't know if this helps but if you go on to YouTube and type 'gopro hd' as in the camera. There is one video on there where a guy is cycling in NYC during rush hour. Pretty decent. Go watch it....I know this doesn't answer your question but may give you an idea of what it's like there.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yeh its on a par with London apart from the one-way grid system and endless traffic lights, I was surprised by how many more cyclist you see now in Manhattan compared with just a few years ago, similar I guess to London, although I've never seen any many of the hi-viz peloton as you do daily in London.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Many more cycle lanes these days - including across the Brooklyn Bridge: http://www.nycbikemaps.com/maps/nyc-bike-map/. Flat and very easy to get around.

Even less protection from the law if you get knocked off though and, IMO, a lot of trucks/cars drive far too fast up the long straight avenues.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    thanks folks. I surfed Youtube quite aggressively this weekend (including a great Brooklyn-Manhattan route) and it really seems eminently doable, albeit some aggressive taxi drivers. Seems there are way more segregated bike lanes than I thought. Very relieved.

re the traffic lights...unlike here, my impression is that it seems traffic lights are optional for bikes in NYC..I didn't see many people stopping just for a red!

can't wait to get out there.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    BigLights wrote:
    thanks folks. I surfed Youtube quite aggressively this weekend (including a great Brooklyn-Manhattan route) and it really seems eminently doable, albeit some aggressive taxi drivers. Seems there are way more segregated bike lanes than I thought. Very relieved.

re the traffic lights...unlike here, my impression is that it seems traffic lights are optional for bikes in NYC..I didn't see many people stopping just for a red!

can't wait to get out there.

They're optional in London too....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ooermissus
    Lights are much more optional in New York than London. More people cycle the wrong way up the mainly one-way streets too. And lights are comparatively rare.
  • Headhuunter
    ooermissus wrote:
    Lights are much more optional in New York than London. More people cycle the wrong way up the mainly one-way streets too. And lights are comparatively rare.

I don't know NY v well, only been there twice but I really can't imagine riding the wrong way up the streets there, against 4 lanes of oncoming traffic! Equally jumping a red must be a bit hair raising - I can imagine getting halfway across and a bus or taxi suddenly looming into view...!
  • ooermissus
    I don't know NY v well, only been there twice but I really can't imagine riding the wrong way up the streets there, against 4 lanes of oncoming traffic!

They call it salmoning.
  • Headhuunter
    ooermissus wrote:
    I don't know NY v well, only been there twice but I really can't imagine riding the wrong way up the streets there, against 4 lanes of oncoming traffic!

They call it salmoning.
    I can understand why but "salmoning" like an actual salmon in water is not as scary as through 2 tonne buses and taxis!
  • ooermissus
    I can understand why but "salmoning" like an actual salmon in water is not as scary as through 2 tonne buses and taxis!

Depends on how many grizzlies are waiting for you as you head upstream.

1335_KATMAI.jpg
  • Search YouTube for New York courier race. Crazy, but still looks fun :)
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Have fun and stay safe whatever you do mate.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    I've cycled a bit in NY and thought it was a bit easier than London. I thought the grid system and one way streets meant that traffic flows were more predictable than London where you can get twisty-turny streets and bizarre junctions. The biggest danger is probably being doored, particularly a taxi passenger getting out, so watch out passing stationary cars.

You didn't mention where you are going to be working but there are bike lanes down the west and east side of Manhattan (Hudson and East River side) that bring you down to the Financial District.

There are bike lanes over the Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges but you need to watch out for pedestrians wandering all over them as they take photos and admire the views.

If you want to do some cycling outside of commuting, there is a book called "Bike NYC: The Cyclist's Guide to New York City" by Ed Glazer that lists a number of routes to explore various areas and I also did a couple of guided tours with this company - bikethebigapple.com - there is a small discount for bringing your own bike but really you are paying for the guide who I found to be excellent.