Rockshox 2014

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Some new forks appearing on the website for anybody interested.

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/component/forks

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Are any of them any different to 2013's forks? Had a glance but they look very similar in terms of the models offered.
  • supersonic
    Many are the same - but the new Pike is up, a new fork called a 30Gold. I imagine more will be updated.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    New Pike, looks vaguely interesting.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    Is the 30 gold replacing the Tora?
  • supersonic
    XC32 replaced the basic Toras, Recon Silver replaced the mid level Toras, top end Toras were dropped.

30 gold appears to be a new lightweight budget alu stanchioned unit.

Pike looks amazing!
  • Wishing for a Reba with BBMC....
  • boooo.

Pike looks interesting though.
  • supersonic
    Wishing for a Reba with BBMC....

It's called a SID ;-)
  • bennett_346
    Loving the look of the black stanchions.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Was the 30gold not released a few weeks ago? Seems like they've just added the pike and the 30 to the existing line up as everything looks the same. Turner were running what looked like a Sid with the black stanchions on a prototype carbon bike, I expect the full 2014 line up to be released at Sea Otter with numerous forks getting the black treatment.

Turner-Proto-1.jpg

Will be interested to see how the Pike performs as some of the marketing/technical crap in the awful release video said the new damper removes some of the feeling of riding on the air-spring, something I've noticed on my revs that I don't really like, which is why I prefer Fox. The Pike is a good looking fork though, even I'll admit that!
  • supersonic
    A lot of riders get the DLC coating for forks, but not available to the public. The coating on the Pike is not DLC or black gold, but more might get it.

The new damper keeps a full range of LSC though, so good adjustability.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Mmmmmm, 2014 trance x 650b with a pike on it anyone? Think I'll start saving.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bit overkill for a Trance X. The Trance has always been nice with up to 140mm but thats its limit, the old Pike was perfect for the Trance but the new one is a bit big.
    DLC stanchions arent available to normal people but you can get the Fast Black stanchions for Boxxers which are super slick
  • Northwind
    Didn't rockshox say their DLC isn't durable enough for a consumer product?

I like DLC, TiN and the like- lots of fun on motorbikes, you find out it makes no difference quite quickly because it all falls off. The black/silver and gold/silver fades on Kayaba forks can be really attractive :mrgreen:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Yep - they learned their lesson from previous releases of TiN and slippery silver. Too slick to stay on he stanchions ;-)
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Supersonic, since you seem like a bit of a GT man i thought you might be interested to know that a new GT DH Prototype has been spotted in Spain. Apparently its being set through its paces in Germany ATM. :O

532028_460278250713265_1340681317_n_zps545b67c0.jpg

532028_460278247379932_267193008_n_zps95599b5e.jpg

524277_460278580713232_584442992_n_zps013f5245.jpg

299176_453922688015488_2033305372_n_zpsabec5197.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DLC sticks to steel like poo to bedding, but ally it doesn't like....

We've beein using DLC in automotive for a while in production applications, I was on one of the first intro programs in 2004.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Supersonic, since you seem like a bit of a GT man i thought you might be interested to know that a new GT DH Prototype has been spotted in Spain. Apparently its being set through its paces in Germany ATM. :O

I had a close up look at it at Coombe Sydenham BDS yesterday when Gee left it outside a portaloo. Even pro's need a pre race run dump :shock:
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    160mm Pike with duel position air sounds like my dream setup in trail settings, something I've not availavle before on any forks.
  • bennett_346
    160mm is far too much for trail riding.
  • milfredo

150mm seems fine for me for the last three years. I only wanted more while using my bike downhilling in Bulgaria so a choise between 130 - 160 would be nice for those moments between local trails and more severe terrain.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Trail bikes seem so be getting longer travel for no obvious or good reason.
  • supersonic
    Trail riding now seems to be what AM riding was 6 years ago.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

That.

It's the big numbers thing. I've got more than you!

130mm is more than enough for trail riding. 150+ is AM and there's probably less than 1% of the riding population actually need it/use it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    I had a 160mm travel AM bike and sold it because I couldn't find anything in this country where I need a bike like that. It just wan't worth keeping for an annual alpine trip. Now I have a DH race bike and a short travel XC bike.
    I'm sure some riders use bigger travel bikes to compensate for a lack of riding ability.
  • milfredo

That.

It's the big numbers thing. I've got more than you!

130mm is more than enough for trail riding. 150+ is AM and there's probably less than 1% of the riding population actually need it/use it.

It's not a numbers thing at all, far from it. I use one bike for everything: Night ride cross country to foreign downhills and I love the longer travel trail forks. I currently use 150mm revs with no travel adjust and only 'sometimes' lock out the fork for some big climbs, mostly it's been spot on and all the travel gets used at some point. With a 160mm option and some downhill tyres a lot more would become easier to ride for those rare days when you're wishing for a DH rig.
    Certainly no willy waving in the group I ride with, no one gives two shit what their mate is on as it's such a mixed bag of riders.
  • gt-arrowhead

I had a close up look at it at Coombe Sydenham BDS yesterday when Gee left it outside a portaloo. Even pro's need a pre race run dump :shock:

Haha! You actually saw one?? Damn. I thought it was only one since its a prototype.

Apparently its already won a major race. Im not sure weather or not it was the debut race or not though.
  • gt-arrowhead
    lol! There is acutally a picture of it outside of the portaloo.

9968_460701017337655_93029929_n_zpsf073708b.jpg

And i just saw a link on facebook about it too. http://wideopenmag.co.uk/news/18314/gt- ... -race-bike

So im guessing you must be some top end DH rider to be at the same event as the GT factory team with their prototype!
  • Northwind
    It's being reported as tapered steerer only, be a shame if that's true. Also curious if it's "full length" or if it's like the 34 with a shorter axle-to-crown. If they do a straight one, and it's full length, then I reckon I might be buying one.

Respectfully, this is bobbins. Some bikes don't carry it too well, so it makes things feel too easy and all you get is downside unless you're really working it hard. But better long travel bikes aren't like this. My Hemlock's got Lyriks in it and sure, it's harder work but it's every bit as fun to ride at glentress (frinstance) as my hardtail or my rigid. Just faster, is all.

It's been worked a lot harder in the UK than in the alps in all honesty, a good trailbike like this works fine round simpler trail centres but will step up to downhill courses or big mountains without any fuss. Nice to have a bike you can fling in the boot and take up fort william one day, then do a mile-muncher on the west highland way the next, and finish up with laps of laggan. I guess it depends where and how you ride.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • milfredo
    Those rotors look interesting!