R500 wheel, broken spoke

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited April 2013 in The workshop
So going home last night managed to break a spoke on the R500, which meant disconnecting the back brake to get me home.

Question is, is it worth spending money on the wheel, as I would be inclined to replace all the spokes (wheel is 4 years old, with approx 1000 miles use) or do I replace the spoke, keep it as a back up and get a new wheel?

In which case is it Swiss R450 / 465 or open pro on 105 hub?

Comments

• andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    I don't know if you'd be interested but I have a R500 rear wheel knocking around I'd sell for £20 including postage.
    The hub is knackered, although it may be possible to salvage something from it. The rim doesn't have much wear and it has all the spokes intact, the freehub is in good nick as well.

No worries if you're not interested, but if you'd be interested for spares then drop me a PM.
  • gbsahne001
    andyk19 wrote:
    I don't know if you'd be interested but I have a R500 rear wheel knocking around I'd sell for £20 including postage.
    The hub is knackered, although it may be possible to salvage something from it. The rim doesn't have much wear and it has all the spokes intact, the freehub is in good nick as well.

No worries if you're not interested, but if you'd be interested for spares then drop me a PM.

thanks for the offer, but I think in reality the spoke count is insufficient for commuting with panniers
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    If the rims aren't worn then either spend 50p on a new spoke and fit it yourself, or 10 quid at your LBS getting it done.
    I wouldn't want to replace all the spokes after 1000 miles.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just fit a new spoke, I bought my 'pre-loved' back wheel with 2 broken spokes and in 3000 miles have replaced about 10 more, 1 spoke is easy (tension it up and check and the wheel is usually true already!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    I've done 3000 miles on a set of R500s and they're still true, and I weigh 95kgs!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i'd echo that 1000 miles isn't much and that one broken spoke is a cheap easy fix, cheap OEM wheels on the SS are about a year old with 3,000 miles, one spoke on each going, so far.
  • gbsahne001
    The wheels repaired but have ordered a gleaming new wheelset, as in 35 years of riding and approx 40,000 miles of commuting in the last 3.5 years this is the only spoke I've ever broken. Once they arrive this one will be kept as a spare.