Silly beepy the horn man

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
On my way to work today, by bike, yay!

I get to a side road to turn right onto a main road, I wait until its safe to emerge from my road and enter the main road. Now then, there's a bus to my right and a car on my left going the other way. They are about the same distance apart from me and I judge that their distance and speed make it safe for me to do my thing - the car is the most important variable to me in this equation as I have further to travel to be clear of it, so in reality I have ample time to pass the bus and more than enough time to pass the car.

I'm clear of the bus and now in the middle of the road, and I notice the oncoming car speeding up so I'm forced to wait in no mans land. He beeps a warning to me and swears as he drives past. A few feet up the road, less than 30secs in fact, he is forced to stop at a traffic lights. So I approach and witness him desperately trying to wind-up his window - shoulder cadence steady as it blurs in rotation.

All I was going to say was, "Mate, I didn't pull out on you and I would have waited until you passed". I was feeling diplomatic despite him stupidly speeding up when he saw me, or being able to slow down to let me complete my move or have taken any number of less dangerous options for that matter.

However, I didn't say any of that because I couldn't help laughing at the thought of him hunched over as he tried to wind his window up as quickly as possible... I did say, quite unceremoniously, "Yeah, you wind your window up mate!"

So:

1. Do you think he needs a new car, one with electric windows?

2. Do you think he was in the wrong or I was?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Lassic
    Lassic Posts: 32
    He's an idiot for speeding up! It could have been a lot worse if you hadn't had noticed.

Though anyone can be mouthy as they speed by in their car, I think you had the last laugh at the lights though. :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    3. You live in London and think this incident worth posting?! You really aren't on the bike enough these days!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'll go with Rolf's 3. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Agent57 wrote:
    I'll go with Rolf's 3. =)

Have to agree too! ;)

I don't even get excited by the sideswipes with intent that are accompanied by hand gestures and shouting any more. Note that this type of behaviour is usually from a motorist whom is in the wrong or feels wronged that you are simply even on "their" road!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    My commute is only 2.59 miles...

There isn't much to report.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If your commute is only 2.59 miles, then you are doing it wrong :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:

A real man adds a lap of RP on to their commute despite living in SE london. #just saying...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Might be safer to walk...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Rolf F wrote:

No winking about it MTFU
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DonDaddyD wrote:

A real man adds a lap of RP on to their commute despite living in SE london. #just saying...

Only the 1?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Only 2.59 miles? Are you allowed to post in here?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yeah we heard your service was leaving people 'short changed'.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Rolf F wrote:

Here's one I prepared earlier: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84566913

My "2 mile" commute to work. \o/ To be honest, though, I've been slack about extending the commute since I started working locally again a couple of weeks ago. =/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)