Carbon Cycles All Mountain handlebars

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of getting some new handlebars and come across these from Carbon Cycles:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=94&p=1063&

They have a quoted weight of 157g and are rated for all mountain riding. Seems very light compared other bars. Is that weight genuine? and if so are they really suitable for all mountain riding? Anyone got a pair or have any more info them?

I've have quite a few bits from CC and am very happy with them but these seem to be a bit too good to be true?

Comments

• Does seem quite light.

Easton Monkeylight is 155g, but is not as long. Strong bar though and is around £100

Dunno, email them? CC do have weight limits on some of their stuff (you'd hope not on an AM bar though!).
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    That is very, very light for a 750mm bar! My Easton Havocs are 235ish grams and feel plenty light enough, merlin have them for about 80 quid atm, very good bars, awesome shape, mega strong and they seem more comfortable than the alu ones I also run, seem to take more vibrations out of the trail. Personally I'd spend the extra and go for the Eastons at that price.
  • jairaj
    I've sent off an email asking for some more info.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Havocs but I bit beyond my budget. I was originally looking for something in the £30 - £40 bracket but the CC bars caught my eye with their silly weight.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The alu havocs are also great, down to £35 I think from Merlin too and still an excellent bar.
  • jairaj
    only grey low rise is £35 and its out of stock. the rest are at £55.

If the reply from CC doesn't sound convincing, I think I'll go for a Spank Subrosa 747 EVO Bars
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Exotic have a good rep, can't see it being an issue....

Easton EC90 SL are 135g after all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    Does seem quite light.

Easton Monkeylight is 155g, but is not as long. Strong bar though and is around £100

Dunno, email them? CC do have weight limits on some of their stuff (you'd hope not on an AM bar though!).

Won me an Easton monkey lite carbon high rise handle bar the other night on ebay. Got it for 11.50, just waiting for it to be delivered. Saw some for buy it now around 20quid but there alloy.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nice....must have been a funny end time!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    No not really, it ended about 19:30 but it was on a Tuesday.
  • jairaj
    Slight thread resurrection! Realised I never updated this thread with the response from Carbon cycles. This is a summary of the conversation:

Me: " Dear CC - are your bars really safe for All Mountain riding as that's a really low quoted weight"

CC: " yes quoted weight is correct"

Me: "What about the riding style and any rider weight limit"

CC: "90Kg rider weight limit and yes they are suitable for mountain riding"

Me: "I don't think you understand me - I waffle a bit explaining what AM riding is and check the bars can handle the strain"

CC: "Please see our website details of their use is described there"

The conversation didn't leave me with any confidence so I chose to avoid them as I'm on the weight limit anyway.