Desperately seeking sportive

marylogic
marylogic Posts: 355
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
In a departure from the usual format of "have sportive, need training", I "have training, need sportive"

Last year I did the train for sportive in 6 weeks thing (got offered a Pedal for Scotland place late on) but I got away with it because it was in September and I'd been doing a fair bit cycling through the summer anyway.

This year I signed up for a slightly shorter but hillier sportive in May. I thought I would do every thing I could to be adequately prepared - I've lost 10% of my body weight and been training consistently and my legs are starting to feel quite good.

So, sod's law, found out today my sportive is cancelled.

Bealach Beag is the week after and I'm tempted, but may be logicsticly too difficult (have to organise babysitting for 2 young logics) Also I'm not sure about 300 cyclists going up the Bealach at once - would it be too busy?

Cairn O Mount also looks interesting so might go for it.

Etap Caledonia and Kinross are full up.

Any one got any other suggestions for hilly sportives in scotland?

Mr logic thinks we should just do the original route on our own which is the other option, but I like putting a number on my bike! and getting a medal!

Comments

• CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Race !
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Audax - plenty out there http://www.aukweb.net/
  • marylogic
    Racing doesn't appeal to me particularly but I have been tempted by the "dark side" (audax). Do they have finish times on the audax routes - I could only see a speed quoted - do you just have to stick to that?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    marylogic wrote:
    Mr logic thinks we should just do the original route on our own which is the other option, but I like putting a number on my bike! and getting a medal!

This! FWIW, I've done a number of Sportives and never got a medal for any of them! I tend not to bother with them now though probably I should!

I once turned up to a Sportive a day late. Luckily they'd marked the route with little painted arrows (I hadn't a GPS at this point) so I had the choice of either turning round and going home or riding the Sportive a little lonely and plaintively! So that's what I did!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you want to replicate that feeling of being surrounded by total idiots on bikes who have no idea what they are doing and get in your way cos they have zero group riding discipline - Cycle around London at peak period for a few days.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I am guessing you are female, so understand why actual racing may present too many barriers to join in..
    but it may be the way ahead for you.
    Hoping this link works
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... -Road-Race

Racing is the only method of truly testing yourself against not only a road or circuit but also against your peers.
    The fact that you like 'medals' does indicate that you have a competitive streak in you.
  • marylogic
    Thanks for the link.

I have little experience of riding in a group ( a few ctc runs 10 years ago) although I am aware of most of the rules so I think I behaved reasonably during the last sportive (in fact I think I was so worried about my lack of experience I probably spent too long riding on the front).

I have thoughts of joining a club when the kids are a little older so I think road racing will have to wait if I ever do go down that route.

What I really like are epic rides with lots of hills that really challenge me and leave me an empty shell at the end. Which is why the voices in my head are whispering "audax, audax, audax" 200K would be a great challenge for me as the longest I've done so far is 115 miles.