Middle ring drama

djamiej
djamiej Posts: 12
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Forgive me forum for I have sinned. It's been 6 years since my last post :|

Does anyone know off the top of their head whether there are any middle rings out there compatible with an LX Hollowtech II M582. I realise that I may need a time machine or something.

Any help would be gratefully received. Many thanks!!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most 4 arm 32T MTB ring......the standard hasn't changed for about 20 years or so, my LX square taper takes the same rings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • djamiej
    Right you are, thanks for that. Just that some of the Deore middle rings (couldn't find LX) I looked at had these tabs on them close to the bolt holes and some didn't. Is it just a case of filing them down if they don't fit properly as the bike shop reviews seem to suggest...?

Thanks again, much appreciated.
  • The Rookie
    Not sure what tabs you mean, all the rings are designed to be a snug fit on the spider to locate them, Truvativ (SRAM) are slightly different to Shimano and Suntour (which are the same) but can be filed to fit, AIUI all Shimano are the same (4 arm MTB).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • djamiej
    Well that simplifies it at least. Happy days!

For what it's worth I'll post what i thought were the differing rings and a link to the said reviews when I get a mo tonight/tmrw. Thanks again.
  • djamiej
    Righto, so you don't think I'm going mad... here's the Deore middle ring with the tab-like bits on them, that I'm guessing the reviewers were referring to when they said they needed to be fettled/filed down(the reviews are in the same link):
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38192

And here's the other Deore middle ring:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5699

I think I was getting confused my chainset's so old I wasn't sure which one would be appropriate. But that said, I'll have a proper look at me bike this weekend. Never easy this business when you're not so techy-minded.

Cheers and all the best.
  • The Rookie
    The bolt holes and the location diamter are the same distance apart, the tab effect is because one is a photo of a 32T ring and one a larger 36T ring so the teeth are further out from the bolts - was praying you hadn't made that error!
  • djamiej
    Right then, that's settled that! Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I was blind but now I can see. I'll get tooth counting.

And finally I might be able to get some sleep. Was dreaming chain rings last night. Must. get. a. life...
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    See you again in 2019!
  • djamiej
    Lol well quite possibly..! Have enjoyed being back tho. Doesn't half get you back into it going on these forums.