Spec advice needed

nick1972
nick1972 Posts: 144
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I'm looking for a new bike on the C2W scheme and saw a Norco Valaence A1. Could someone with more knowledge than me advise how good below spec is.

Frame:
Double butted and formed 7005 alloy endurance frame
Fork:
Carbon Bladed, Alloy Steerer
Front Derailleur:
Shimano 105 FD-5700 – Black
Rear Derailleur:
Shimano 105 RD-5701-SS – Black
Number of Gears:
20
Shifters:
Shimano 105 ST-5700 – Black w/White Hoods
Chainset:
FSA Gossamer CK-C6020ST
Chainrings:
50/34
Bottom Bracket:
FSA MegaExo BB-6000
Cassette:
Shimano Tiagra CS-4600 12-30T 10 speed
Chain:
Sram CN-PC1031 10speed
Front Brake:
Tektro R539 – Black
Rear Brake:
Tektro R539 – Black
Handlebars:
Ritchey Comp Curve – Black
Stem:
Norco – Wet Black w/Red
Headset:
FSA Orbit CE – ACB Integrated headset
Grips:
Norco Gel Wrap – Black
Rims:
Shimano WH-R501A – Black w/Monotone Decal
Front Hub:
Shimano R501
Rear Hub:
Shimano R501
Spokes:
Shimano R501 Bladed
Front Tyre:
Schwalbe Lugano 700×25c – Black
Rear Tyre:
Schwalbe Lugano 700×25c – Black
Tubes:
Presta Valve – 48mm valve
Saddle:
Selle Royal Seta Men – Black/Red
Seatpost:
Norco Composite – UD Carbon w/Red
Seat Binder:
Alloy – Red

Comments

  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    How much is it?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    For £1k which the current one is going for at Evans you could get better. Also depends on what you are using it for.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Its £1000 at Evans. I'd use for 14 miles round trip commute to work. I also ride 40-50 miles on a Sunday..Unfortunately I'm limited to Evans..
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Try the Specialized Secteur Sport Disc

    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 63#answers

    Test rode one earlier, may upgrade from a bog standard Secteur. Very practical for a commute.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Thats a lovely looking bike but I'm trying to avoid a Spesh. I've no doubt they're great bikes but every other bike I see out on the road is a Spesh and I want something different...
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    Try a felt z85 or f85, similar price, similar spEc! The z85 is fantastic!_
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Nick1972 wrote:
    Thats a lovely looking bike but I'm trying to avoid a Spesh. I've no doubt they're great bikes but every other bike I see out on the road is a Spesh and I want something different...
    Yes good point, no point in buying a good bike because other people have made that same choice. Far better off buying a crap bike just to have a different name on the down tube.

    Doh
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    NewTTer wrote:
    Nick1972 wrote:
    Thats a lovely looking bike but I'm trying to avoid a Spesh. I've no doubt they're great bikes but every other bike I see out on the road is a Spesh and I want something different...
    Yes good point, no point in buying a good bike because other people have made that same choice. Far better off buying a crap bike just to have a different name on the down tube.

    Doh

    To be fair, the guy isn't comparing a crap bike with a good bike. At that price point you'd struggle to buy a crap bike, and it's quite a reasonable decision to want to buy something a bit different. Not everyone buys a Ford Mondeo either.
    Ridley Orion
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    NewTTer wrote:
    Nick1972 wrote:
    Thats a lovely looking bike but I'm trying to avoid a Spesh. I've no doubt they're great bikes but every other bike I see out on the road is a Spesh and I want something different...
    Yes good point, no point in buying a good bike because other people have made that same choice. Far better off buying a crap bike just to have a different name on the down tube.

    Doh

    To be fair, the guy isn't comparing a crap bike with a good bike. At that price point you'd struggle to buy a crap bike, and it's quite a reasonable decision to want to buy something a bit different. Not everyone buys a Ford Mondeo either.
    Isn't he? go back and read the spec again for a £1 k bike, and you can by a pile of nonsense at that price point with ease
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    NewTTer wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    Nick1972 wrote:
    Thats a lovely looking bike but I'm trying to avoid a Spesh. I've no doubt they're great bikes but every other bike I see out on the road is a Spesh and I want something different...
    Yes good point, no point in buying a good bike because other people have made that same choice. Far better off buying a crap bike just to have a different name on the down tube.

    Doh

    To be fair, the guy isn't comparing a crap bike with a good bike. At that price point you'd struggle to buy a crap bike, and it's quite a reasonable decision to want to buy something a bit different. Not everyone buys a Ford Mondeo either.
    Isn't he? go back and read the spec again for a £1 k bike, and you can by a pile of nonsense at that price point with ease

    I already read the spec thanks. The spec may be low end in some areas compared to some at a similar price mark, but it's 105 groupset is decent enough, and it is hardly crap is it. You could be a little more constructive, there's a lot out there for £1K, and just because the guy doesn't want to buy another suggestion doesn't make him wrong.

    To be constructive, I would point out that Norco don't have much history in making road bikes, they are better known for MTB.
    Ridley Orion
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    NewTTer wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    Nick1972 wrote:
    Thats a lovely looking bike but I'm trying to avoid a Spesh. I've no doubt they're great bikes but every other bike I see out on the road is a Spesh and I want something different...
    Yes good point, no point in buying a good bike because other people have made that same choice. Far better off buying a crap bike just to have a different name on the down tube.

    Doh

    To be fair, the guy isn't comparing a crap bike with a good bike. At that price point you'd struggle to buy a crap bike, and it's quite a reasonable decision to want to buy something a bit different. Not everyone buys a Ford Mondeo either.
    Isn't he? go back and read the spec again for a £1 k bike, and you can by a pile of nonsense at that price point with ease

    I already read the spec thanks. The spec may be low end in some areas compared to some at a similar price mark, but it's 105 groupset is decent enough, and it is hardly crap is it. You could be a little more constructive, there's a lot out there for £1K, and just because the guy doesn't want to buy another suggestion doesn't make him wrong.

    To be constructive, I would point out that Norco don't have much history in making road bikes, they are better known for MTB.
    But it isnt s full 105 grouoset is it, go read it again, lousy brakes, lousy BB, Lousy Crankset, 501 hubs etc etc. So just because a few of shiney bits have 105 splashed on them people think its great. Simple marketing ploy, you need to look a little deeper, which you failed to do, that spec should be around £700 price point, £1k would be realistic if it were full 105 and some if the other items were of better quality, i refer to things like stem and seatpost etc
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Yeah, whatever you say, you are the man.

    I read the spec, I did say that previously, obviously not loud enough for you.

    Just so you understand, I pointed out that the bike was not crap. But obviously it is in your eyes, so let's just move on. You could have simply pointed out a couple of comparisons to help the OP, but you know best.
    Ridley Orion
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    To answer the OP's question since no one else is going to bother. The spec for that price is quite average to be honest. There are some nice bits but they are countered with some below par bits to keep the cost down. Because is has a 105 groupset which on a grand bike is a good start, things around it like the wheels could be better.

    Is this a bike you have seen online or first hand? I would strongly recommend you go and sit on a few bikes at the price range you are quoting and get a feel for something that you will enjoy riding. I hear you saying no to a specialized but they are good bikes for that price range. You can even get a new Spec Tarmac with the new Sora for another 200 if you can put the extra in yourself.

    Coming back to the Norco, Its not bad but not the best value for the price considering the multitude of other bikes out there. End of the day, get what you like the look of. The most important part aside the frame is the groupset and thats good. If you are prepared to buy upgrades like wheels at a later date then that would be easier to do.

    Hope this has helped in your decision making.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Thanks for the advice guys..I think a trip to a few shops is in order.

    NewTTer, sorry that I don't want the same as everyone else, how silly of me to think another company made a good bike in my current price range
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,244
    If tax returns means you have to settle for a bike you don't really want, bring in the tax... I would never get a bike I don't like to save a few pounds
    left the forum March 2023
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Yeah, whatever you say, you are the man.

    I read the spec, I did say that previously, obviously not loud enough for you.

    Just so you understand, I pointed out that the bike was not crap. But obviously it is in your eyes, so let's just move on. You could have simply pointed out a couple of comparisons to help the OP, but you know best.
    So read it better next time before you comment.

    OP as others have said £1K is OTT for that spec you can do much better even if it is the same name as others are riding :lol:
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    NewTTer wrote:
    Yeah, whatever you say, you are the man.

    I read the spec, I did say that previously, obviously not loud enough for you.

    Just so you understand, I pointed out that the bike was not crap. But obviously it is in your eyes, so let's just move on. You could have simply pointed out a couple of comparisons to help the OP, but you know best.
    So read it better next time before you comment.

    OP as others have said £1K is OTT for that spec you can do much better even if it is the same name as others are riding :lol:

    Some people you can reason with, some people are intelligent enough that you can sensibly debate, and then there are others....

    I'm not sure which part of "I read the spec" you don't get. I'm not sure which part of "calling a bike crap is not constructive" you don't get.

    To the OP, the best advice you have been given is to get on a few and try them for yourself. There are a significant number of bikes out there at £1K, none of them are "crap", but some are better than others, and some will suit you better than others.

    Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Ridley Orion