Advice - ex xcaliber...

Erm
Erm Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon -

It's time to retire and replace my 2000 Fisher X-Caliber hard tail.

I don't want to spend a lot - up to a grand is all. But I love the Fisher. The riding position and geometry suits me perfectly. I had a Scot before and didn't like the stretched-out feeling (sorry of that sounds amateur - that's what I am). I suspected it was due to a very long stem which also made the steering feel distinctly odd for my taste. The Fisher feels much more relaxed and controlled for me.

So....

Any ideas?

Something with the same kind of feel as the x-Caliber.

I have looked at the Boardman range - primarily because they seem to offer good value for the kit supplied. I had a look at the Rockhopper too and liked it - until i read some stuff about changes to the material for 2013 and now I'm less enamoured. Having been happily ignorant of changes in the industry for a few years now, I'd really appreciate some guidance from any kind soul willing to offer it.

Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the geometry of your existing bike?
  • Erm
    Erm Posts: 3
    It's got a triangular bit at the back and long pointy bits at the front :) I'm really no expert I'm afraid - I just ride the thing in all it's 90s bright, unfashionable yellow glory. The reason I use terms like "geometry", when clearly knowing naff all about the subject, is because when i bought the bike, a lot was made of the Gary Fisher "Genesis" Geometry - something about getting your rear end more over the rear end or some such. I do apologise, this must feel like talking to your Mum about mountain bikes. All I know is the layout suits me - it is a bit more upright and more comfortable than, say, my old Scott which felt like I was practicing laying out under a hang glider.
  • Trek rept up the x-caliber for the gary fisher line up a couple of years ago. It's in the pricerange you're talking about It sits in between the lower end mamba and cobia and just under the more advanced superfly range. I think it's an excellent ride with decent (sram x7) kit, good airsrpung fork and kept most of the ***geometry*** features you're talking about.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mo ... x_caliber/

if it's a little over budget the Cobia is still quite good, exactly same geometry but lesser components.

Check it out!