Getting started!

Primus84
Primus84 Posts: 109
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys, just getting started with some cycling training to try to lose some weight and get a bit fitter.

Bought a Cube SL Cross hybrid but if I catch the bug I imagine I'll be after a road bike for next summer.

Went out today and managed 7 miles over the course of an hour with a few stops. The terrain round here is really hilly and I ended up climbing 630 feet over 2 and a bit miles on the way home. This absolutely knackered me and it was at this point I stopped once or twice to get my breath back. I'm fine on the flat but hills cause me a major problem, probably cos I'm edging towards 120Kg!

But what I want to know is, so I have a point of reference, how severe a climb is 630 feet over 2 miles. Am I finding it tough because I'm hopelessly out of shape (which I am) or is it a reasonably tough climb?

Comments

• farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Hello and welcome ....

A little secret, as you get fitter on a bike it does not get any easier (or at least I don't find that) just that you go somewhat faster (I exaggerate somewhat me thinks as you can of course choose to ease off on your regular route).

I think the important thing is that you enjoy what you are doing as you won't keep it up otherwise so don't be to hard on yourself nor expect to float up hills.

If you can run to it might be worth getting some form of cycle computer (the likes of a Garmin 200 or 500 if you want to scare yourself with heart rate - the latter is possible a bit expensive for now if you have just started) from which you can map your rides and see improvements over time (nothing worse than flogging yourself to death and thinking you are not improving.

A final word of warning - if you are seduced by the charms of cycling be prepared to have your bank balance seriously dented. Whilst you don't have to buy the latest and greatest kit you will be surprised as to how much you end up spending.

Good luck

Alan

Ps 630ft over 2 miles is a fair pull. Hills are subjective and depend (obviously!) on your level of fitness. If you get use a GPS computer you can map your rides and compare yourself with others on the same route using Strava
    Regards
    Alan
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    farrina wrote:
    Hello and welcome ....

A little secret, as you get fitter on a bike it does not get any easier (or at least I don't find that) just that you go somewhat faster (I exaggerate somewhat me thinks as you can of course choose to ease off on your regular route).

I think the important thing is that you enjoy what you are doing as you won't keep it up otherwise so don't be to hard on yourself nor expect to float up hills.

If you can run to it might be worth getting some form of cycle computer (the likes of a Garmin 200 or 500 if you want to scare yourself with heart rate - the latter is possible a bit expensive for now if you have just started) from which you can map your rides and see improvements over time (nothing worse than flogging yourself to death and thinking you are not improving.

A final word of warning - if you are seduced by the charms of cycling be prepared to have your bank balance seriously dented. Whilst you don't have to buy the latest and greatest kit you will be surprised as to how much you end up spending.

Good luck

Alan

Ps 630ft over 2 miles is a fair pull. Hills are subjective and depend (obviously!) on your level of fitness. If you get use a GPS computer you can map your rides and compare yourself with others on the same route using Strava

Thats good advice, you may want to see if there are any local Sky Rides or group rides, makes starting out a lot more enjoyable when there are a few of you. Out of interest where was the hill?
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Primus84
    Blaydon up through Ryton and then Crawcrook.

I've thought about joining a group but feel I need to be much fitter first and also I've heard a lot of groups are snobbish with regards to flat bar bikes.
  • simonhead
    Try the Sky Ride groups, they wont be snobby at all.
  • farrina
    Primus84 wrote:
    I've thought about joining a group but feel I need to be much fitter first and also I've heard a lot of groups are snobbish with regards to flat bar bikes.

If they are then that's their loss - personally I see us all part of the same family.

Most proper clubs will cater for a wide range of abilities from the committed racing type to the social rider who enjoys a leisurely trip down the lanes and cake/tea so don't feel intimidated (I know easier to say). Don't ignore the CTC (Cyclist's Touring Club) who take a more relaxed view altogether.

Try a few clubs out - why not go along to a club night ?

Good luck

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • simonhead
    Good call on the CTC, been out with them a few times, they tend to do a nice Saturday ride, not snobby at all and a really nice bunch. Normally stop for a coffee halfway round. The rides are generally scenic rather than fast and they have years of experience, will help you get the most out of your ride. Great advice Alan
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Your bodies probably not used to it - my first bike ride in ages had a 4% hill and my legs burned like a burny thing - not to mention sore plums - just keep at it, and remember to rest a bit too - let the body adapt.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Welcome,just keep at it,one ride at a time and you will improve without doubt,and get the bug.IF you have android phone you can d/l strava app,then upload to your pc to see your time etc.It,s a good tool and you can monitor progress that way over regular routes etc.
    Keep at it and good luck.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Primus84
    Thanks everyone, I've been using Endomondo on my iPhone in a saddlebag - is Strava better?

Gonna give it a miss tomorrow and get out again on Saturday for maybe 10 miles this time.
  • nedmoran
    nedmoran Posts: 53
    Hi and welcome. I've cycled up that way a few times, the last was Sunday. It can seem to go on a while especially in the wind. Unfortunately your right about the area being hilly but looking on the bright side this can only be a good thing for your fitness. I started cycling last september and also struggled on the hills but now i plan my routes with the big hills in them and love them. The flatest routes i've found in this area would be around the river Tyne, using a couple of the bridges to form a loop.
  • I live in Blaydon! Which hill was it? The one from the roundabout by Mcdonalds up to Winlaton?
  • nedmoran
    I think it's the road that goes through Ryton and on to Crawcrook.
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    Keep at it Primus, Your at the same weight I was when I started cycling again, I've been at it 6 week now and in the last 6 week I've dropped 1-1/2 stone and my 5 mile 50 minutes has turned into 10 mile 42 minutes and last week I managed 2 rides at just over 30 mile each in approx 2-1/2 hours. Keep it up man :D
  • By the Runhead? I cant think of anything with nowhere near that much elevation down there.
  • Primus84
    From the Vauxhall garage up to Crawcrook. According to Endomondo GPS that's the total climb.
  • nedmoran
    Not sure on the elevation(don't have gps)but it is an incline that goes on a bit. As nmt says, stick with it and you'll soon be progresssing. Just go steady up the hills so you don't burn out. I always got tempted to get to the top as quick as possible when i started cycling, so that the pain would be over quicker.
  • If you go down to Wylam and ride down by the river there is a long stretch of flat that I would recommend. Wylam - Ovingham - Ovington etc. Roads are fairly quiet and few hills. If a hill is proving too hard just get off and push! I used to think it was really embarrassing having to push, but its not that bad!
  • Get yourself up to consett i have just started myself but the problem is wherever i go its always a climb home, i did my first 30 miler yesterday and the last 15 were all uphill, it does seem strange but you do seem to look forward to the hills,tomorrow im going for a big one at stanhope crawleyside bank, is is sad that i think about it all the time lol
  • Good luck with crawleyside! I've not attempted that, and I don't think I ever will!
  • nedmoran
    I've got myself a 20mile route from dunston through Rowlands Gill to Ebchester, up Ebchester bank, down to hamsterley mill, up to burnopfield, to whickham and home. Ebchester bank didn't half get my legs sorted for hills. Not heard of crawleyside, but i'll be up somewhere near that way on sunday.
  • Well i did crawleyside bank today and it was not as bad as i thought it was going to be,it was hard but i think ebchester bank would be harder i have not tried that yet coz that does frighten me lol
  • Primus84
    I'm going to go down to Wylam and along the Tyne tomorrow, gonna aim for 10 miles but will have to see as will need to leave something in the tank to get back up the hill from Wylam!
  • I was out by Ebchester today, didn't do the bank though! Well done on crawleyside too!

Primus, if you want to avoid the steep bank out of Wylam, go back up through Sled lane which is just on the right before the steep part. Its a LOT less steep and much more manageable!
  • Primus84
    Thanks Dave, a good tip I'll try tomorrow!
  • Primus84
    Well I managed 12 miles today over the course of about 1hr 15. Briefly found myself in the middle of a Derwentside club run on the way down to Wylam! Nearly killed me getting back up to Crawcrook from Wylam at the end mind!
  • farrina
    Primus84 wrote:
    Well I managed 12 miles today over the course of about 1hr 15. Briefly found myself in the middle of a Derwentside club run on the way down to Wylam! Nearly killed me getting back up to Crawcrook from Wylam at the end mind!

The secret is learning to walk (not literally!) before learning to run ....

You are braver than me, given the high winds today I went out yesterday instead and confined my efforts to a run today, which was hard enough against the head wind.

Well done and keep it up :-)

Best wishes

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • nedmoran
    Primus you've done well to get 12 miles in today. I went that way myself before heading along to bywell, shotley bridge then home. The wind was an absolute nightmare in some places, i even had to pedal down hill somtimes just to keep going.
  • Primus84
    Yeah it was pretty windy, at times it was quite a nice warm wind but it seemed to follow me so I felt like I was cycling into a headwind both on the way out and on the way back!
  • Primus84
    Did the same 12 mile route again today. Felt so much better than last week. Quicker and far less walking up hills. Quite proud of myself and the weight is already starting to come off. Gonna go out midweek and hopefully in the next few weeks I'll not need to do any walking up hills!