POLITE/Police Gilets

flamite
flamite Posts: 269
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
These polite/police-like bibs hav been around a while - mostly seen on horse riders...

i see the point and they don't seem to be illegal, but i dont think i would wear one, just seems to aggravate drivers, thoughts??

http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2013/04/cy ... rists.html

Comments

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Just a press release stuff in a paper needing free content
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I think I saw someone wearing one of these a week or so ago, I didn't think it was a police officer, I read it as "polite" and it and it made me think of those ridiculously pedantic notices people put up saying "polite notice, please do not park here", or "polite notice, please respect our neighbours when leaving the pub".... If you say "please" and "thankyou" it is by nature a polite notice, you don't need to dumb it down....!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I think I saw someone wearing one of these a week or so ago, I didn't think it was a police officer, I read it as "polite" and it and it made me think of those ridiculously pedantic notices people put up saying "polite notice, please do not park here", or "polite notice, please respect our neighbours when leaving the pub".... If you say "please" and "thankyou" it is by nature a polite notice, you don't need to dumb it down....!
    I agree. The use of the work 'polite' in a notice makes me automatically think I want to go against its request.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,355
    I agree with the above comments and the OP. It would just irritate drivers and make the wearer look like a sanctimonious prat.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    All for helping riders to stand out but think it might annoy drivers, why not just wear a normal hi vis jacket at a lower cost.

Edit: unless of course the wearer thinks that if a vehicle driver sees it & thinks 'oh police, better behave'
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Edit: unless of course the wearer thinks that if a vehicle driver sees it & thinks 'oh police, better behave'
    Like all these things - its the novelty that will get you ..

I bet most ppl who see the "Polite - Please pass slow and wide" hi vis jackets for the first time will read it as "Police etc" ... and by the time they've seen it says "Polite" and got all hot and bothered about it, they've actually done as Politely requested and passed slow and wide ... so it has achieved it's aim - that time.

Next time they'll be ready for it - but would they cut up? I doubt many of the pass close drivers actually realise what they're doing (no excuse in itself) - they just see the gap and go for it - safe in the knowledge that they're safe in their metal boxes full of airbags (plus the safety devices) - preoccupied by what's on EasterDale Street or what some twonk posted on Facetwat ...
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Slowbike wrote:

Next time they'll be ready for it - but would they cut up? I doubt many of the pass close drivers actually realise what they're doing (no excuse in itself) - they just see the gap and go for it - safe in the knowledge that they're safe in their metal boxes full of airbags (plus the safety devices) - preoccupied by what's on EasterDale Street or what some twonk posted on Facetwat ...

Your right a lot of drivers don't, however if you drive in any city type environment think it is fairly common for drivers to cut you up without consideration certainly have experienced it myself on more occasions I care for both on the bike and in the car. TBF think people are a lot worse when driving to/from work in terms of manners, which thankfully I don't have to deal with anymore.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.