Road closures in London next Wednesday (17/04)

edds
edds Posts: 156
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Might effect a few peoples commutes:
17/04/2013, 07:30 to 17:00
Central London Area
Ceremonial Event: Ceremonial Funeral of Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven LM OM PC FRS. There will be full road closures for the ceremonial route from the Palace of Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral. To include Parliament Square and all approaches, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square and all approaches, The Strand, Kingsway, Aldwych, Fleet Street, Ludgate Hill, St Pauls Churchyard, Cannon Street to Mansion House. Blackfriars Bridge will be closed for the duration of the event. Waterloo Bridge will have restricted access.

There are likely to be additional closures surrounding the ceremonial route which will be confirmed and uploaded to this site early next week. Although the end time states 17:00 there is a staggered road reopening plan, some roads will open earlier.
Originally: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/events/default.aspx

You can see a map of the closures here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... rs/MT1.pdf
edd
--
FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I booked that day off prior to her death to watch Le Fleche...

Good luck to everyone traveling that day.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Hmmm. That's going to clog things up quite a bit for anyone who works in and around the City.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Couldn't they just have had a cremation? Oh yes my mistake "the lady's not for burning"
    <a>road</a>
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I think they are cremating her. Agreed, it's a bit of a hassle regarding getting into work but I'm not objecting, she deserves a reasonable sendoff.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    BigLights wrote:
    I think they are cremating her. Agreed, it's a bit of a hassle regarding getting into work but I'm not objecting, she deserves a reasonable sendoff.

Some would argue that there is a yawning chasm between a reasonable sendoff and a not-quite-state funeral, which she didn't even want.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Misses us here in Victoria but no doubt there will be some knock on effects from it.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Wouldn't she rather have avoided Fleet Street, and gone via Wapping?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem