Question about headsets working loose.

iDad
iDad Posts: 68
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I’ve recently been having to adjust (tighten) the head set on my 2007 Spesh FSR XC a couple of times following single track riding around Sherwood Pines. (10miles)
I’ve not had to do this before when doing much longer XC rides (40miles) so I’m assuming it’s the big impacts going down the new Downhill sections over rocks etc… that is doing it.

The current headset is a Crane Creek, which I’m fairly certain is the original fitted to the bike.

What can I do stop having to adjust this after each circuit of the Pines single tracks? or is it just something i will have to put up with?

Or is it time to replace the Headset? If so what would be a good recommended replacement?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you are not doing the stem bolts tight enough.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The headset doesn't work loose, the preload is lost, that's the top cap doing the preload and then the stem bolts maintaining it (you can remove the top cap completely).

If you tightened the headset just using the top cap bolt, it either did nothing or proves the stem bolts aren't tight enough - if they are it would have had no effect!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iDad
    Being a Mechanical Engineer i was a little cautious of over tightening and putting the bolts in to possible shear, not having a toque wrench i've tightened the Stem bolts up as much as i dare, and the top cap bolt the same.

Can the spider piece in the top section wear? or work itself loose? just feels when tightening the top cap as if its either stretching the threads or pulling the spider upwards.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    You must loosen the stem bolts before making any adjustment to the top cap. Just checking - hopefully you've done this? If you didn't, then when you tighten the top cap, then either the cap will break/deform, or the star nut could possibly move. Either way (in this instance) you aren't actually increasing the load on the bearings to reduce play.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • The Rookie
    iDad wrote:
    Being a Mechanical Engineer i was a little cautious of over tightening and putting the bolts in to possible shear,.
    That's a contradiction, a Mech Eng will know the bolts are in tension and not (nor ever could be) shear and stay that way, and that steel bolts in an alloy thread will strip then female thread first - you sure you're a Mech Eng?

As above, preload with stem bolts loose.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iDad
    Did that yes.
    Took the bars and forks off last night, degreased/cleaned the bearings and headset, re-greased and rebuilt it. they were a little gruby but not corroded.

the whole thing is back to gether and set as it was the other day before the two rides this week around the pines...no play and smooth.

was wondering if it needs a new spider/top cap set up or a complete headset.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd think it needs nothing but adjusting correctly.
  • iDad
    I'll get the guys down the Pines bike shop to have a quick look at it next time i'm down there if it happens again.
  • The Rookie
    Even if the spider (Star Fangled Nut or SFN) moves, it doesn't affect the bearing preload once the stem bolts are tightened....
  • iDad
    Even if the spider (Star Fangled Nut or SFN) moves, it doesn't affect the bearing preload once the stem bolts are tightened....

Yeh you're right.....wasn't thinking there.