slx 665 brake quandry

dimmockg
dimmockg Posts: 471
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Picked up a set of the above (used)but in excellent condition, hardly marked etc.

They are set up on my bike and (I think) are bled ok.

My issue is that I seem a little under whelmed by their performance, having gone from avid juicy 4 to these I expected slightly more instant or aggressive breaking, what I find with these is nothing much for about 1cm of lever pull then power ramps up and discs lock out with levers about 2cm from the bar.

Does this sound correct with these brakes? I'm running 160mm discs front and rear, pad life in both are great

I was thinking of removing pads and squeezing lever so pistons came out a fraction to mean less lever pull before quicker contact point - is this a good idea?

Ultimately they work, I was just expecting more, or do I now have quality and need to get used to that over the old avids

cheers all

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SLX should blow Juicy's into the weeds....

Look at the brake, is there a lot of pad movement prior to them engaging on the disc? Is the disc being pushed sideways at all?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    what pads are you using?
  • dimmockg
    Just gonna go have a little tinker :)

AFAIK the pads are organic, but I have some sintered ones as well :)
  • JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    Have you tried advancing the pads, providing both pistons are free to move and move equally and the calliper has been centred then it sounds as if the pads have to move quite a way before contacting the disc. To advance the pads remove wheel and slowly squeeze lever to allow pads to extend and then retract, they should now be in a little further out than they were before - be careful here you do not want to pop a piston out. Refit wheel realign calliper, go ride.
  • dimmockg
    Cheers all, combination of getting the pistons out a fraction and changing pads to sintered seems to have done the trick

Can feel the power much quicker now than before, feels more of it as well. Not sure its enough to throw me over the bars but that's a good thing!!!

Did an up and down the road test, cruised along at around 12-15mph and came to a non emergency but comfortable and complete stop without skidding in approx a distance of no more than 1.5m

So think its all good now
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    dimmockg wrote:
    Not sure its enough to throw me over the bars

do your test again, but this time it's an emergency and the back brake is broken.........Video the results :lol:
  • dimmockg
    Haha, I think riding and videoing at the same time is enough to warrant a beadle moment!!!

Had another run and they're much much better than before so seems like a good fix :)
  • My 665s have also been a bit lacklustre, currently got new Superstar organics upfront and new Shimano organics out back and they function ok just not as bitey as I had hoped for! I'm going to try some sintered pads next