How to be faster

marylogic
marylogic Posts: 355
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I've been learning a lot recently, both from Bikeradar and general experience, so I thought I'd summarise how to be faster:

1. Avoid hills.Hilly routes wreak havoc with your average speed and must be avoided

2.Ditto long routes. The longer you are out for the slower your average speed will be so best to minimise time out. Probably about 10 minutes is optimal.

3.Avoid headwinds. If possible choose a linear route with a tailwind and have someone pick you up at the end. If this is not possible it may be best to just use the turbo trainer.

4.Set your Garmin virtual partner to as slow as possible so you are comparatively faster. I like to think of my virtual partner as an overweight Rangers fan on a Tesco mountain bike, but it could equally be a chain smoking granny or 4 year old girl.

5. Change your gender to female on Strava - and watch the top 10s roll in!

6.Don't take any water or food with you on rides - they will just weigh you down. Cycle with your mouth fully open instead - small insects will provide nutrition (proteins are the new carbs) and rain/spray from passing lorries will keep you hydrated.

I think that's it covered.

Comments

• pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Go out naked, clothes just cause drag.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Snap your shoulders back to aid aerodynamics.

Add WD40 to the wheels to help them glide on the road.

Ride nude but cover the body in baby oil.

Only ride downhill.

Only ride on the smoothest roads,no bumps,potholes,as smooth as a babies `arris.

Cycle in a vacuum.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Davdandy wrote:

Ensure you are entirely hairless before adding the baby oil and wedge a stick of celery between the bum cheeks as it improves aerodynamicism.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Davdandy
    simonhead wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:

Ensure you are entirely hairless before adding the baby oil and wedge a stick of celery between the bum cheeks as it improves aerodynamicism.

Good advice but i was thinking more of a carrot,being as it is pointed.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Shouldn't excellent advise like this be on the Amateur Race board?

Those guys will love you for it.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • simonhead
    Davdandy wrote:
    simonhead wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:

Good advice but i was thinking more of a carrot,being as it is pointed.

The problem with carrots is they block the hole, the curved nature of celery meens a partial fill, compressing the results of a high fibre diet and further increasing speed.
  • goonz
    Think there is waaaay too much knowledge on rear orifice entry objects.... :shock:
  • simonhead
    goonz wrote:
    Think there is waaaay too much knowledge on rear orifice entry objects.... :shock:
    All hypothetical (from me anyway) just basic physics and biology.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    simonhead wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:

Great idea - you could then have the celery as a snack whilst waiting at the bottom of the hill for your lift to turn up
  • goonz
    simonhead wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    All hypothetical (from me anyway) just basic physics and biology.

Sure it is! :roll:

:mrgreen:
  • Davdandy
    I get you point with the celery but not fully convinced.

Maybe a compromise would suffice,how about a tube of Polo`s,that way there is food and because of the hollow nature it would allow wind and air to pass smoothly and efficiency,and as a Brucie bonus would make the `arris smell all the more fresher for any cyclist riding behind.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    well this thread certainly went downhill very quickly :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I live too close to Brighton to ride around with a stick of Celery up my backside.... :shock:

Mind you, might make me ride quicker :lol:
  • Davdandy
    Another tip you could try is to sharpen your nose using an ice-cream cone,thus creating a streamlined fizzog.Of course,if you have a nose like Cyrano de Bergerac then you are on a winner all the way.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Ref no 4. How many times does the Virtual partner still hammer your time ????
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Davdandy wrote:
    Another tip you could try is to sharpen your nose using an ice-cream cone,thus creating a streamlined fizzog.Of course,if you have a nose like Cyrano de Bergerac then you are on a winner all the way.

Seemed to work for Coppi...
  • I think Cyrano had a bent nose, though, so his assymetrical aerodynamic profile would cause him to 'crab' in the wind, possibly into the path of an oncoming onion transportation lorry.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I think Cyrano had a bent nose, though, so his assymetrical aerodynamic profile would cause him to 'crab' in the wind, possibly into the path of an oncoming onion transportation lorry.

That was Pinarellos inspiration for their bike designs
  • Davdandy
    I think Cyrano had a bent nose, though, so his assymetrical aerodynamic profile would cause him to 'crab' in the wind, possibly into the path of an oncoming onion transportation lorry.

Of course you are right.........but...........what the OP could do is use his dewdrops from his nose to rest on his chin,thus forming a bridge between nose and chin,helping the aerodynamics.Works better of course when frozen. :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • simonhead
    Davdandy wrote:

Of course you are right.........but...........what the OP could do is use his dewdrops from his nose to rest on his chin,thus forming a bridge between nose and chin,helping the aerodynamics.Works better of course when frozen. :mrgreen:

I see where you are going with this, it would act like a splitter on an F1 car? If he had a chin like Jimmy Hill as well he would be unstoppable.
  • Davdandy
    simonhead wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:

I see where you are going with this, it would act like a splitter on an F1 car? If he had a chin like Jimmy Hill as well he would be unstoppable.

That`s it,you got it.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • simonhead
    Just wish I had some art skills, picturing a race between him and the guys from last of the summer wine in a bathtub on wheels riding down a steep hill. Will put it as a suggestion on the Jimll paint it page on facebook.
  • The pursuit of speed could be furthered by harnessing the power of the ginormous cobweb festooned granite ball from the opening scenes of Raiders of the Lost Ark. An ad hoc scaffolding could be constructed, perching the pertinent road bike atop the granite gob stopper, while stabilisers could be affixed through the ball's central axis to keep it in a forward motion.
  • simonhead
    The pursuit of speed could be furthered by harnessing the power of the ginormous cobweb festooned granite ball from the opening scenes of Raiders of the Lost Ark. An ad hoc scaffolding could be constructed, perching the pertinent road bike atop the granite gob stopper, while stabilisers could be affixed through the ball's central axis to keep it in a forward motion.

Now thats just being daft :lol:
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    simonhead wrote:
    The pursuit of speed could be furthered by harnessing the power of the ginormous cobweb festooned granite ball from the opening scenes of Raiders of the Lost Ark. An ad hoc scaffolding could be constructed, perching the pertinent road bike atop the granite gob stopper, while stabilisers could be affixed through the ball's central axis to keep it in a forward motion.

I thought that to go faster by cheating, you normally had one ball removed, not added :twisted:
  • Davdandy
    simonhead wrote:

Agreed.We have all be making good and sound advice on the subject then along comes an answer so far away from reality.Beggars belief. :roll:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Avoid gravity...
  • Davdandy
    Gravity while on top of a hill is great,though not so good if you are at the bottom.

However,if you get close to a black hole then that will do the trick.personally i haven't seen one round these parts.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1