Superstar Sentinel rims (especially 29")

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone have any experience of these, good, bad or indifferent that they can share? They look like a bargain and for my future 29er I'm considering these rims on Tesla hubs (red and red for extra speed) for XC use. In particular, does anyone have a pair in 29" size? And if anyone has the exact same wheels that I'm considering, I'd be very grateful for any feedback
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SS branded rims come from well known suppliers, for example the Vapours are Mach1 MX's, as such they tend to be good rims at their relevant price/weight point, don't know for sure the origins of the Sentinels though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Time to report back.

The anodized finish on the red Sentinels is smooth and shiny, which has a practical advantage of making them easy to keep clean. The logos are fairly subtle, but they're laser engraved rather than being stickers - you can't go plain without a coat of paint. The rim joint (glued rather than welded) is almost invisible.

They're fairly light, build into a stiff wheel, and are usefully wide - a 2.25" tyre fits very neatly. Can't comment on tubeless applications
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er