Mount my Iphone or buy a Garmin?

Ciar
Ciar Posts: 28
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
I have had a search of the forums, but there is way too much to read, so I decided to take the easy route and make a new post, been looking to buy an Iphone mount for the last couple of months, not got round to it yet, was looking at the tigra my for my iphone 4s, I use my iphone with cyclemeter, also have tom tom on their for the car which i know also does bike routes.

Hopefully will begin commuting in the next couple of weeks, really want to be able to view the phone when i need to, as it normally sits in my pocket when riding.

any pointers on whether i should use a mount, which one if you have a preference and are they reliable, of late i have been doing a bit of offroad on the weekend, will it suffer easy to moderate off road.

or should i just stump up and buy a proper bike computer like the garmin edge 500/800?

any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Hard case iphone mounts are pretty reliable and will get you underway, and more importantly not lost.
    For me the 500 was really an investment into proper training, with reliable results.

couple of reasons for a proper Garmin/Mio:

-More reliable data, period
    -Dedicated device, ease of use, durable
    -Better, more detailed routing for cycling (given you have the right map and run a 800/810)
    -Longer battery life
    -Ant+ compatibility with sensors
    -Aids training with HR-zones etc.
    -Lightweight
  • Gentracer
    Gentracer Posts: 29
    I would buy a Garmin. I have an 800 and for me its great. Ability to set your own routes, training zones, ease of use and viewing whilst on the move, and its more robust than your Iphone.

Got knock off my road bike prior to christmas by an idiot driver not giving way, and the garmin bounced with the bike and survived, my Iphone in my pocket wasn't so lucky.

The Garmin also allows you to download directly to Starva or their own web site.

Expensive but for me worth the cash, you just need to decide what you are willing to pay...
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Garmin is tougher and weather proof. Also you won't be distracted by it performing phone functions like the iphone will. Less distracting and should keep you safer.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • menthel wrote:
    Garmin is tougher and weather proof. Also you won't be distracted by it performing phone functions like the iphone will. Less distracting and should keep you safer.

It's the reason I don't go out on sunday rides after 12.

CEO's starting the week early.
  • Ciar
    Lovely, cheers for the replies looks like you have sold me the Garmin, now 500 or 800 or is that a no brainer and 800 is the best bet?

either way i shall be investing asap :)
  • menthel
    I got an 800 recently. Good value now and have the mapping function. Using free maps (talkytoaster etc) works well and means I tend not to get lost now!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Ciar
    menthel wrote:
    I got an 800 recently. Good value now and have the mapping function. Using free maps (talkytoaster etc) works well and means I tend not to get lost now!

Good value how much if you don't mind me asking? I have seen them listed from £250-450 and in between.
  • menthel
    It was from amazon, £247 I think.
    RIP commute...
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Using the free OSM's, does the turn by turn Nav still work like the Garmin navigator maps ?
  • menthel
    zx6man wrote:
    Using the free OSM's, does the turn by turn Nav still work like the Garmin navigator maps ?

Yep, as long as you get the routable ones it works fine.
    RIP commute...
  • Ciar
    That's a decent price, i presume with the garmin you can import gpx files, eg anything i download form london transport or cyclestreet & bikely, just like i do with cyclemeter?
  • menthel
    As long as its a compatable format it should be fine. I have used garmin connect and ride with gps files so far.
    RIP commute...
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    just got one from amazon for 269 with HR and cadence, If the wife asks, its your fault menthel......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    not sure if the prices are competitive but there are 800 bundles available from here, with maps or maps/cadence/HRM

www.sportspursuit/join/coriordan
  • menthel
    zx6man wrote:
    just got one from amazon for 269 with HR and cadence, If the wife asks, its your fault menthel......

Nice price. I think I am far enough away to take the slack! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    I agree that Garmin is the right way to go - I went from iPhone in the pocket to Garmin Edge 500 (via Edge 200), but just to correct a possible misapprehension that people might get from one of the posts above: you can upload your rides from an iPhone to Strava if you use the (free) Strava app. Garmin is more accurate, though, and has all the other advantages listed above.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Ciar
    wandsworth wrote:
    I agree that Garmin is the right way to go - I went from iPhone in the pocket to Garmin Edge 500 (via Edge 200), but just to correct a possible misapprehension that people might get from one of the posts above: you can upload your rides from an iPhone to Strava if you use the (free) Strava app. Garmin is more accurate, though, and has all the other advantages listed above.

I have tried to work out how to upload to strava as i also have that app, but not worked it out yet! but hopefully getting the garmin will solve those issues.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Go all out get the 810 as it has phone functions best of both worlds
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Used my Android phone in my back pocket for a while. Got a Garmin 200 now, was only £90 on Amazon.

The great thing about the Garmin is the battery lasts for ages, I only charge it like once every week or two. I've also got the backlight permanently on so I can see info in the dark, and also I can operate it with my gloves on which you can't do with a touchscreen :)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ciar wrote:
    I have tried to work out how to upload to strava as i also have that app, but not worked it out yet! but hopefully getting the garmin will solve those issues.
    Er

You load Strava App on your phone, log into your account, press start/go to start the ride and stop/finished when done. It then uploads the ride to Strava ... job done!

With a Garmin 2/5/800 you have to go through the hoop of connecting it to your computer, logging onto the Strava website and uploading the ride from your device (there are other methods too). With the 5/810 I believe you may be able to transfer via bluetooth - but I'm not certain on that.