Gears slipping/jumping with little pressure?

richardjiles
richardjiles Posts: 137
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay so we all know about worn chain and how they jump with high pressure trying to accelerate, but get this, I replaced the cassette, chain and cranks. Plus I have been checking weekly the chain wear (with my park tool chain checker) so its all good, I aligned my gears perfectly so the shifting is to perfection, plus I used my dag-2 to align the hanger so thats good, yet I was riding home today and its jumping with hardly any pressure, indicating its not because of chain wear, so my question is.... whats wrong? what causes a chain to jump around under little pressure? Also its mainly on my 8th gear (highest gear for this bike)
Its driving me insane because I spent 60 dollars on that dag-2 and it didn't fix the problem.

Thankfully this problem is only on my commuter, so I can still enjoy some bike rides.
Would cheap components causes this problem? because I bought the lower end of srams cassette and chains

Comments

• just had a thought, maybe my deraileurs spring is worn, and therfore jumping around whenever I hit a bump?
    the derailleur is quite old, how do i check a derailleur for wear?
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    Did you re-adjust limit screws after replacing the cassette? They aren't all exactly the same width.
    Yeah thats one of the many things I do when readjusting a rear deraileur
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    Did you re-adjust limit screws after replacing the cassette? They aren't all exactly the same width.
    actually was just looking at it today, seeing as it only happened in 8th gear, I looked down and saw that indeed the limit screw put it very close to the 7th gear! I don't know what I must have been on when I was doing this last :P
    so hopefully that fixes the problem! I'll get back to you if it didn't
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yeah thats one of the many things I do when readjusting a rear deraileur
    Sarcasm fail...... :P
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.