Shimano rear mech - GS or SGS?

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Buying a new drivetrain and just need some help to confirm what rear mech I need.

Using a 2x10 drive train. Cranks have 24/36 chainrings and cassette is 11-36T.

I think I am OK to use a GS (medium cage) or do you think I need a SGS (long cage)?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check the mechs range on the sellers site. Must be able to handle 37.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jairaj
    The GS has a capacity of 35 the SGS has a capacity of 43.

Can I get away with the shorter one or best to go for the longer one?
  • jairaj
    I though it might be the other way round that would cause the problem. ie Big - Big front and back thinking the mech couldn't handle that?

If its just a matter of loosing chain tension in small - small then I think that's fine with me. I try not to cross the chain too much anyways.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Big big isn't an issue as that is where you set the chain length...so either mech would look pretty much the same.

Some Boardmans (SRAM but same principle applies) use a shorter mech than they should - neater and a little lighter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    my enduro is the same 2 x 10 gearing, 24/36 + 11 - 36 and it uses a medium length rear mech, albeit SRAM.
  • jairaj
    yup now I think about it, it seems obvious. Cheers guys for the help
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I use a 24/36 crank and 11/34 cassette with a GS mech and its totally fine. Never tried with a 11/36 cassette but cant see it being a problem as you will be in the big ring when it gets fast and bumpy. If it is a problem in the 24 front 36 rear gear you could always swap to a 11/34 cassette I doubt you would miss the extra 2 teeth on the cassette unless you live at the bottom of a well :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap