Winter mtb boots/shoes

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Yeah I know it a stupid time of year to buy them, but thinking I might pick up a bargain, and tbh, still need them at the moment :roll:

So what does anyone recommend, being warm is a priority.

Comments

• RandG
    Form an orderly que for replies please :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sealskinz Thermal socks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Specialized defrosters. Had mine for a couple of years now and apart from the smell they're great.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Shimano MW81 - awesome.
  • RandG
    cooldad wrote:
    Sealskinz Thermal socks.

C*ck !
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I use the Northwave Fahrenheit GTX shoes and they are excellent. They always keep my feet dry no matter what. Apart from in the coldest of conditions my feet always stay warm but they make a Northwave Celsius shoe too for even colder conditions.
    Like you, I hoping I might be able to find some cheap as I want to get the road versions for the winter.
  • cooldad
    RandG wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Sealskinz Thermal socks.

C*ck !
    Pardon?
    That's my solution, and it works really well.

You might specify flats or SPD.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    RandG wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Sealskinz Thermal socks.

C*ck !

Charming.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I would have suggested socks too.
    I wear the same shoes all year round I just change what socks I wear for the weather/conditions.
  • RandG
    Had I started a topic asking what type of socks should I but, I'd appreciate someone saying seal skin socks, I didn't though, hence why I replied...c*ck.

I've been wearing ss socks all winter, I didn't need that advice.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    But you also said being warm was a priority, so someone suggesting an alternative might actually have been the better suggestion, no one was to know what socks your were wearing.
  • RandG
    That's a fair point, but cooldad does have a considerable reputation for being a c*ck.

Anyway, mw81's bought.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Cooldad is 100% correct in this case....they re the best option, if you need warmer feet then anything other than the type of boots they use on iditarod will be worse. I speak from experience
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    I take no offence. RandG obviously has a lot of experience with c*cks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Overshoes work best for me, can chuck em in the washing machine and shoes are still dry (ish).
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    ddraver wrote:
    Cooldad is 100% correct in this case....they re the best option, if you need warmer feet then anything other than the type of boots they use on iditarod will be worse. I speak from experience

I disagree. Nothwave winter boots and Woollie Boollies are FAR better than sealskins in my experience. More expensive yes, but the OP was after winter boots and whilst sealskins are pretty good (if they fit inside your day to day riding shoes), it's nonsense to say they are better than winter boots.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Not in my experience of several winter boots (yes I have more money than sense), Get a cheap pair of normal shoes one size larger in the winter sale and the socks and spend the 50 odd squids or more on petrol to go riding.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    chrisw333 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I disagree. Nothwave winter boots and Woollie Boollies are FAR better than sealskins in my experience. More expensive yes, but the OP was after winter boots and whilst sealskins are pretty good (if they fit inside your day to day riding shoes), it's nonsense to say they are better than winter boots.
    I did specify the thermals, not standard ones, and if it's really, really cold, I wear another thin pair inside.
    Works for me. And relatively cheap, which for me is a bonus.

Just my opinion - there is no right.

And thank you for not calling me a c*ck.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I don't think you are a c*ck. Your advice is good and sealskins are a great product particularly if you're on a budget. But if you can afford boots, for me I found them a lot better - but I really do suffer with cold feet. I also really like Woollie Boolies.
  • RandG
    OK for the record. All last winter on out night rides every tues/thurs I had on a pair of socks, a pair of seal skinz socks, my mtb shoes and then over shoes, worked perfectly pretty much everytime. However, as good as the overshoes were, they get wrecked, so next winter, rather than wearing overshoes, I'm going to buy winter boots, and also wear my seal skin socks.

Hope that clears things up, a bit :roll:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It doesn't, can you repeat it again?