How to determine chain length?

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
Last step of my project (hopefully anyway). I searched youtube and found a couple of different techniques. Put chain on both big rings and add 2 link or big at front and small at back until rear derailer in line with rear axel.

Can anyone suggest an easy and effective technique?

Cheers,
D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The former - big/big, bypassing the derailers, add two links.
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    Same as above, but with a cycle of the suspension to check for chain growth.
  • I was taught to go small/small including derailleurs and making sure the rd has at least some tension.

I suppose this doesn't take into account ridiculous gears (53-28), cross chaining.

Whats best?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I was taught to go small/small including derailleurs and making sure the rd has at least some tension.

I suppose this doesn't take into account ridiculous gears (53-28), cross chaining.

Whats best?
    Big Big as it saves ripping your mech off and is the most widely recomended way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I was taught to go small/small including derailleurs and making sure the rd has at least some tension

Thats the way I was tatught, touch wood I have never had any problems.

I was taught my a road race bike mechanic.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    High risk if the RD is marginal on capacity as in big big that could see the RD pulled into the cassette.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Levi_501 wrote:
    I was taught to go small/small including derailleurs and making sure the rd has at least some tension

Thats the way I was tatught, touch wood I have never had any problems.

I was taught my a road race bike mechanic.

It's a terrible way in my opinion. if you hit the big/big combo you might rip the mech and the hanger off, snap the chain or even bend the frame.
  • desmorrow
    OKay, so I added to link and a power link. Seems a little tight on the big rings when I run it through the derailer but think it's okay....

I had also replaced the cassette with a fairly cheap shimano alivio 9 speed. When shifting, the sprocket seems somewhat noisier than before - kind of tinny? Would that be expected with such a new cassette? I think I put everything back together okay....
  • The Rookie
    More likely it's not indexed quite right and the chain is rubbing as it meshes with the teeth on the sprocket.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • desmorrow
    More likely it's not indexed quite right and the chain is rubbing as it meshes with the teeth on the sprocket.

Is that a case of adjusting the tension on the cable then?

Sorry another question too!!! When I am in small small combo, the chain is crazy loose. It was like this with the old chain but it was badly stretched so I thought that was part of the problem. I don't remember it being that bad when I first bought the bike. I guess it's to do with the derailer set-up - any suggestions?
  • The Rookie
    Yes, adjust the cable.

It's possible the springs in the mech have gone soft, photo's would help!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    supersonic wrote:
    if you hit the big/big combo

That sounds something like you would get in McSh1t or Burger Queen!

I must confess, I have never had a problem doing it this way; it seems a logical way to me.

Just out of interest, do you tend to end up with more or less links doing it this way?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    desmorrow wrote:

Is that a case of adjusting the tension on the cable then?

Sorry another question too!!! When I am in small small combo, the chain is crazy loose. It was like this with the old chain but it was badly stretched so I thought that was part of the problem. I don't remember it being that bad when I first bought the bike. I guess it's to do with the derailer set-up - any suggestions?
    You shouldn't be in small/small. Pointless anyway, you'll have the same ratio in the middle ring further down the cassette.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools