Rockrider 9.2 Your Thoughts Please....

stephendixon
stephendixon Posts: 9
edited July 2014 in MTB beginners
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-92 ... 08373.html

What are your thoughts on this bike please?
Spec wise it looks good IMO?
Difficult to find info/reviews on the net.

Steve

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks excellent value. Very good fork, well regarded frame and suspension system, quality wheels and drivetrains, great weight for the money - a bargain.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Add a 'brand' name and it would be half as much again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At least half as much again!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It's a serious bike for the money, shows how much spec they are squeezing into that for the money that they couldn't get it down to a c2w friendly £999.

Only thing I would change would be the tyres.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    If the lower spec one can gather this kind of test result, imagine how good that one is with all the nicer, lighter parts.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-btwin-rockrider-91-12-45756
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    wow, a really great deal.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    There a grat bike...handles very well on the tech stuff and light and fast for the trails great bike.
  • R8JimBob88
    R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
    Never heard a bad thing said about them.
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • I've just bought one. I intended initially to get the Rockrider 9.1 which was very well reviewed. But when I tried the 9.2, I immediately felt the benefit of the upgraded spec of the forks, shock, rims, hubs, bars and brakes. Pity it was not available in the 9.1's black livery, though!

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on with it.
  • i bought 1 last week.

Please note they now come with X7 Shifters instead of X9. The website has now been updated.

Really well set up, gears great, fork set up in store to suit my weight etc. Really impressed with the guys at Decathlon Sheffield, they are really entuasiastic when one of them saw i was getting a 9.2 he came over just to chat how good they were. They threw a pair of SPD shoes in for me, fixed the cleats and even helped me get it on the roof. You dont get that from Halfords.

i was in same boat had a very cheap hardtail wanted a proper bike, looked at 9.1 but thought for not too much more better components.

When i first saw them i thought shame they dont come in black, but now really love the white colour.

If you do go for one just their loyalty card scheme as this will give you a £20 voucher from the purchase of the bike alone which will get you a free shock pump etc
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    It's a serious bike for the money, shows how much spec they are squeezing into that for the money that they couldn't get it down to a c2w friendly £999.

Only thing I would change would be the tyres.

And the Avids...
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The 9.2 does seem like very good value. I like the white/blue colourscheme too (much nicer than the black). The one thing I don't like about them is that top tube - it's just so damn ugly.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    That's a fair comment, unless you bought your bike for its looks.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    That's a fair comment, unless you bought your bike for its looks.

No, I bought mine for value for money, but I think it looks ok too. It's just the top tube I don't like on the Rockrider - it looks like a bit off angle iron offcut. It wouldn't stop me buying one, with the value for money being that good, but if I was choosing between two bikes that have similar price, similar spec and offer similar value for money, I'd choose the one that looked better.
  • croptonboy
    croptonboy Posts: 164
    I've just bought one. I intended initially to get the Rockrider 9.1 which was very well reviewed. But when I tried the 9.2, I immediately felt the benefit of the upgraded spec of the forks, shock, rims, hubs, bars and brakes. Pity it was not available in the 9.1's black livery, though!

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

How are you getting on with it, and what frame size did you get? Is it the size you'd normally get? The reason I ask is I noticed Decatlhon's sizes are:
    S (155-165 cm) M (165-175 cm) L (175-185 cm) XL (185-200 cm)

Where as Evans post a somehwat general size guide as:
    S (158-168 cm) M (168-178 cm) L (178-185 cm) XL (185-193 cm)

I just wondered how Decathlon's frames were, was the size guide reasonably accurate?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Height is only a rough indicator of 'size', and these guides are just as rough. A 16 inch frame can have have top tube longer than another brand's 20 inch frame. Best to sit on one of you don't know about all the numbers.
  • It's very good indeed. I've tested it on a number of local trails, downhills and green lanes. I previously arranged test rides on a Pivot Mach 4 (26" wheel) and a Giant Anthem (29" wheel) and I think the Rockrider 9.2 has compared very favourably with both (heavier, perhaps). No problems with the original tyres - these are Hutchinson Toros and they come very highly recommended by the MTB mags.

I bought it in a Large Frame from the Decathlon Stockport shop. It comes with X9 not X7 (at least mine did). I actually like the top tube looking a bit 'shapely'!
  • Such a cool bike . I love the white color
  • Any more feed back on this bike now its been out for a while?

Looking at getting one myself but the review on their own website is a little worring?

Would rather a 29er but at that budget I cant find anything suitable.

Any advice on either would be much appreciated.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got a 9.1 it's great, I wish I'd have had the extra money for the 9.2 the extra 10mm of travel at the front would have been nice, as well as all the other improvements.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Hi,

Can someone tell me a bit more about the fork on the 9.2. The Decathalon website is a bit vague about it's exact spec. Is it an air fork?

Also how is the rear shock?

My local Decathalon doesn't hold this model in stock so I can't just pop in and check it out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Photo looks like it has a coil preload adjuster on the left hand leg....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • prawny
    It's a Sektor RL fork, so I think it's air. I'd be surprised if it was a coil to be honest, the 9.1 has an air recon and it's touted as a light weight bike. Wouldn't make sense to put a coil on.

The basic x-fusion shock on mine is surprisingly good, nothing really to compare it to but it's pretty controlled and doesn't bob excessively. That one is obviously a step up and I've heard a lot of good things about x fusion this year.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I'm on the shorter end of the height scale at 5' 6" (168cm) - anyone have any views on what this bike is like on the smaller sizing? Our nearest Decathlon store is a 4 hour round trip, and I'd rather not waste the time if its not recommended...

Cheers!
  • Both front fork / rear shock are def air as they pumped them to suit my weight when they set the bike up. The rear shock has 3 settings to suit the terrain. Mine is pumped quite stiff so you dont feel the bike sag but riding over bumps it is very smooth and if i look down you can see the shock constantly moving.

With regard to size im 5 - 10 to 5-11 and went for a large but was torn between the medium and did not notice the difference between them. Seat was a little higher on med but reach etc felt the same
  • prawny
    Same here, I'm 5'11 and ride a large with a fair bit of post showing at XC height, at 5'6 you'd be fine on a small or maybe even a medium.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I have had both the 9.1 and the 9.2 both very nice 9.1 colour is much better a lot lighter but also a slight twitchy came couple of days after ordering online was really surprised how light it was but turned up slightly damaged hence the upgrade to the 9.2 slightly heavier but a much better ride the 9.2 is the 2013 model and came with all top spec parts on included x9 full gear set up avid 3 breaks x fusion rear shock with three position lock out rock shox secktor on front love the mavic wheels that come with the 9.2 the 9.1 came with rockrider own set on felt a bit cheap and flimsy the only real bad thing about both is the tyres good for road use not so good on trail or dh best bike I have had in a long time
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Sorry for the bump - but is it possible to upgrade the rear shock on the 9.1 for one with a lock-out?
    Been offered one locally for a good price - apparently only been ridden a few times.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Find a shock with Propedal or similar in the same size (you don't get lockout) and yes, but without knowing what size (or even what) it is....

I wouldn't bother - not needed unless you ride on roads.

But a new thread would have made more sense.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools