Want to buy new wheels

danconnor
danconnor Posts: 16
edited April 2013 in Road general
Hi all, i want to upgrade my wheels from mavic ksyrium equipe to campag zonda. Is this a good upgrade and can anyone suggest other options,

cheers Dan

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I can certainly vouch for the Zondas.
    Had mine about 6 yrs. Still true. Roll well.

The search function is your friend :)
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    a128c704-bf43-4dc8-b3f5-3be82d36c6e2_zps86432679.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of Campagnolo, enjoy the exotic feel of Italian heritage and the romantic allure of Cyclings number 1 brand.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • danconnor
    cheers guys, its a cinelli bike so want to stick with campag really, need an excuse to the mrs to warrant nearly £300, want to be better at climbing and these are a bit lighter
  • £300 for better climbing? Where do I sign up?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Climbing more will make you better at climbing,them wheels will make it look good while your doing it lol.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    Do people really still believe having a slightly lighter wheelsets will make them climb better? Whats going on in these forums these days?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Crimmey wrote:
    Do people really still believe having a slightly lighter wheelsets will make them climb better? Whats going on in these forums these days?

If you still believe they don't....you are in the wrong place :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    nice wheels, expensive when/if you break a spoke, not a fan of the two way fit.
  • pride4ever
    Crimmey wrote:

I dont include the OP in this but this forum is choc full of dudes who wont take their bikes out in the rain, wont go out because there is "salt" on the roads and are treating cycling as a fashion show. I always thought cycling was an hard mans sport lol.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Crimmey wrote:

No, you are quite right, slightly heavier ones work much better :roll:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Carbonator wrote:
    Crimmey wrote:

I think the point crimmey is making is that lighter wheels might give you something like a 2sec improvement if you were climbing Alpe D'Huez, but will make zero practical difference in reality.
  • I climb just as well on a 12kg Carrera as I did on my full carbon steed back in Austria weighing only 7kg. The only difference is the engine. But, with that being said, it is always nice getting more parts that make YOU want to go faster!
  • pride4ever
    Carbonator wrote:
    Crimmey wrote:

Its only worth mentioning if the OP is at his absolute lightest. If hes carrying excess pounds round his gut he,s wasting his time and money.
  • Crimmey wrote:

And everyone should have the same knowledge as you why ?

Doesn't matter does it answer the question or go read a book it's obvious he's asking because he's not fully sure.

To the OP weight makes things easier all round but the only thing thats going to improve your climbing dude is hitting them hills and keep hitting them only this will make you a better climber.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    To anyone that thinks weight is not a factor in climbing, I suggest they try their next col pulling a kiddie trailer with a 6 year old in it.

I've done it, and I can vouch for the fact that it makes a MASSIVE difference.

And although here we're talking grams not kilos, it's a linear curve.
  • Anonymous
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Crimmey wrote:

I think the point crimmey is making is that lighter wheels might give you something like a 2sec improvement if you were climbing Alpe D'Huez, but will make zero practical difference in reality.

I got the point. Mine was that they would not make him a worse climber.

The OP wants some new wheels. Why disuade him just because one of the reasons he wants them is marginal?
    I find it funny how people are constantly being told not to bother buying bike kit on a bike forum.
  • imposter2.0
    Carbonator wrote:

The OP wants some new wheels. Why disuade him just because one of the reasons he wants them is marginal?
    I find it funny how people are constantly being told not to bother buying bike kit on a bike forum.

I'm pretty sure nobody said they would make him a worse climber - but thanks for pointing that out anyway :lol:

All anyone is doing is correcting a commonly-held misperception - I don't see anything wrong with that. A suggestion that someone should NOT buy something is perfectly valid IMO.
  • Anonymous
    How about lighter (better) wheels + lose weight, rather than the usual lose weight first crap.

Personally I think buying new wheels helps climbing in more ways than one ;-)

If you look at things like that everyone might just as well buy a Pendleton lol
  • fitnesswontlie
    fitnesswontlie Posts: 88
    edited April 2013
    To anyone that thinks weight is not a factor in climbing, I suggest they try their next col pulling a kiddie trailer with a 6 year old in it.

I've done it, and I can vouch for the fact that it makes a MASSIVE difference.

And although here we're talking grams not kilos, it's a linear curve.

Well actually your wrong.

Lighter equipment makes it easier and provides you with a better chance at getting better times when climbing hills but it doesnt improve your own ability to climb. Instead your training provides you with the ability to say your now a better climber.
  • imposter2.0
    Carbonator wrote:
    How about lighter (better) wheels + lose weight, rather than the usual lose weight first crap.

You don't know how heavy he is, because he hasn't said. For all you know, he might already be at a weight where no further loss would be beneficial.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

You don't know how heavy he is, because he hasn't said. For all you know, he might already be at a weight where no further loss would be beneficial.

Agree with this also as you can lose weight and decrease your power if your losing weight from the wrong places because your body no longer has enough fat to lose.

Making a bike lighter only makes it easier and quickens your time up a hill it doesnt make you as a person a better climber and if am wrong then put the heavier wheels back on your bike and do the same ride to prove your now a better climber. :mrgreen: Just saying
  • Anonymous
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

I'm pretty sure nobody said they would make him a worse climber - but thanks for pointing that out anyway :lol:

All anyone is doing is correcting a commonly-held misperception - I don't see anything wrong with that. A suggestion that someone should NOT buy something is perfectly valid IMO.

I did not say anyone did say that. I was making the point.

What's this commonly held misconception? That light wheels are better for climbing?.....er, well they are, so its not a misconception.

OK, so its minimal (in physics term), but why jump to that reason the OP wants the wheels and ignore the others?
    Seems that people sometimes just want to big themselves up when offering advice.
  • imposter2.0
    Carbonator wrote:
    OK, so its minimal (in physics term), but why jump to that reason the OP wants the wheels and ignore the others?
    Seems that people sometimes just want to big themselves up when offering advice.

You seem confused. The OP said he wanted lighter wheels for better climbing. Someone else pointed out that the benefit of lighter wheels would be marginal, almost to the point of being unnoticable in every-day riding. Not sure what the problem is, as it seems a perfectly valid point to make.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    pride4ever wrote:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Campagnolo, enjoy the exotic feel of Italian heritage and the romantic allure of Cyclings number 1 brand.

Promoting this then slating folk for wanting to buy the best, look after their best and look good while riding their best is hilarious. The concept of ‘bella in sella’ has gone right over your head.
  • Anonymous
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

I was not the one who mentioned weight first.
    I am all for the OP getting some new wheels and going out hill training.
    Its others that have hinted at his weight, not me.
  • Anonymous
    edited April 2013
    Imposter wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

You seem confused. The OP said he wanted lighter wheels for better climbing. Someone else pointed out that the benefit of lighter wheels would be marginal, almost to the point of being unnoticable in every-day riding. Not sure what the problem is, as it seems a perfectly valid point to make.

I think the climbing thing was mainly to convince his wife about the purchase?

The problem (if there is one) is that there is a lot of dissuading on the forum because of marginal gains.
    Whilst some of it may be good advice, I think a lot is just sour grapes.
    5 marginal gains = a decent gain in my book.

I felt I could climb better when I got new wheels on my old bike (because the originals died).
    I dont think it matters if it was all in my head. I was happier climbing, so did it more.
    I see hills as a challenge, not a chore now.

If the OP finds the same thing, I would say it was £300 well spent!
  • danconnor
    looks like ive started something here!! , ive bought the Zondas today at Ribble 10% off so £250 all in. I am 11st and 5ft 9ins. Regularily do the trough, Jeffery Hill, Birdy Brow, Quernmore,Parbold and Hunters Hill, all in the north west. Just didnt want to waste money on buying 'better' wheels if they were not actually 'better'. Perhaps its just all in the mind!!
  • Anonymous
    Enjoy the new wheels ;-)
    Hope you will review them soon and let us know if you feel they were a good buy ;-)
  • danconnor
    Ive given them a run out tonight, spin really well. Will try for a big ride Sat and do a review. Ribble 10% offer finishes on 16th April. So far so good. Cheer guys
  • bjl
    bjl Posts: 353
    At £250 those Zondas have to be one of the most " bang for buck " deals around , love Campagnolo wheels , always thought the Zondas deserve more attention , only problem is they can be tough to fit certain tyres on which is why I sold my Eurus .