How tight should caliper bolts be?

Coxy_UK
Coxy_UK Posts: 297
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
When aligning calipers (as in loosen bolts, hold lever in and incrementally tighten each bolt), how tight should they be done up?

Thanks
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
<font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
<font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Torque values should be in the manual.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    as a rule:

short handle allen keys, the size you would get from the pound shop

the length of the handle limits how much torque you can actually put onto the bolt, so no cheater bar used or anything like that, that is roughly the correct torque

alloy bolts are a lot weaker than steel so it is possible to wreck using this rule, this is the exception that proves the rule..........
  • ellis2012
    ellis2012 Posts: 29
    I use my multitool which is pretty small and won't allow me to over tighten them, unless swinging off them!
    I also used a torque wrench afterwards and they were not tight enough by about 1/4 of a turn.
    Just don't go mad I say!
    Tight but not FT! Lol
    My giant anthem says it needs 6.2 NM
  • Coxy_UK
    Coxy_UK Posts: 297
    Ok cheers. They are X0 brakes and feel awful, my last bike had Avids too and I gave up on those brakes. Very tempted to buy some XT brakes and flog the X0's.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
    <font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
    <font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tight but not tight enough to strip them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Had one of my calipers work loose the other day, so mine are pretty tight now
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill