OT: Returning Something to ebay Supplier

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
I bought something on ebay (non cycling item). It was described as

"New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing its original packaging, or the original packaging has been opened or is no longer sealed. The item may be a factory second, or a new and unused item with minor defects. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections. "

However it has turned up and is clearly 2nd hand and well used, although it is in it's original, if battered, box...

The seller has agreed to take it back and refund me all costs. I've never returned anything from ebay before, in fact I don't think I have ever returned anything I've bought on the net before. Should I take photos of the item before sending it back? How can I be sure he's not going to take it back and then claim that I damaged it or something and not refund me? What do you lot usually do?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Think you have it right with the photos.

Obviously will play devils advocate on this one but could the damage not be caused by being a factory second or classed as a minor defect? Not that it matters I guess if they have admitted their error and confirmed they will accept the item & issue you a refund.

Your action in part will depend on the payment method & how you have contacted them. If you have done this through Ebay/Paypal then think it puts you in a stronger position.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    They have put their hands up already. Take photos and get insured postage as a safety net.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Taking photos sounds like a good plan especially when you're disputing the condition of the item.

I returned a set of bearings once because they weren't as described. It was quite obvious they were the wrong ones though, so I told the seller, posted them back and the seller issued a refund no problem.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The item was a shaver and is definitely a factory second, that's not the problem but it's also clearly 2nd hand, there's bits of hair on it and it absolutely stinks like a tramp has been using it, also there are bits missing and the packaging is badly damaged. Quite frankly I don't see why I should lose out at all, don't want to pay postage to return it. He has offered to send a courier but not quite confirmed that he will fully refund...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you've been communicating via the message service on Ebay then you have back-up proof of their agreement to refund all costs, should the matter be escalated and a claim put in with Paypal/Ebay they can see the messages I think.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • danlikesbikes
    If the seller has not confirmed they will or won't issue a refund then your right to be concerned with sending back & then not getting your refund.

Would suggest that you go via ebay - If you paid by paypal you can open a dispute and take it that way, if not think you need to through the customer service option and the resolution centre.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    The item was a shaver and is definitely a factory second, that's not the problem but it's also clearly 2nd hand, there's bits of hair on it and it absolutely stinks like a tramp has been using it, also there are bits missing and the packaging is badly damaged. Quite frankly I don't see why I should lose out at all, don't want to pay postage to return it. He has offered to send a courier but not quite confirmed that he will fully refund...

Urrgghhhh! That sounds awful!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • danlikesbikes
    If the seller has not confirmed they will or won't issue a refund then your right to be concerned with sending back & then not getting your refund.

Would suggest that you go via ebay - If you paid by paypal you can open a dispute and take it that way, if not think you need to through the customer service option and the resolution centre.

Just found the area you need - http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/cusr?query=1480&ref=1