Cable to Hydraulic

dougie537
dougie537 Posts: 20
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Thinking of upgrading my brakes:

I popped in to the lbs today and mentioned to them re upgrading, He muttered that its £100 per end to convert my brakes to a hydraulic set up ?

Unfrotunately i didnt ask whay brakes they would use. Still it seems alot to me !

Any reccomendations for a decent set of Hydraulic brakes thats not going to make me gasp for breath...

(Im not a competative rider, nor do i do much off road riding, ive currently got a cannondale MTB with slicks, and generally ride on small country lanes / tarmac farm tracks)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano Deore, often less than 100 quid in total.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    supersonic wrote:

That.

Shop around and you should be able to get them sub £100. Fabulous brakes as well.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    supersonic wrote:

I got a pair for under £70 from Rose. Price has gone up a little but still under £80 for the pair and they are great brakes, especially for the price.
    Front - http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:516076
    Rear - http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:516080

You will need to swap the levers around but you will probably need to trim the hoses anyway, they come with spare olives. The bleed kits are about £15 and it takes about five minutes per brake.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If CRC get the front back in stock, once you wap levers, a bit less than £100, let alone per end!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=87334
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I had cable brakes and swapped them for Shimano Deore last summer. Fantastic brakes for the price
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Read FC's last post though viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12916251
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dougie537 wrote:
    Thinking of upgrading my brakes:

I popped in to the lbs today and mentioned to them re upgrading, He muttered that its £100 per end to convert my brakes to a hydraulic set up ?

Unfrotunately i didnt ask whay brakes they would use. Still it seems alot to me !

Any reccomendations for a decent set of Hydraulic brakes thats not going to make me gasp for breath...

(Im not a competative rider, nor do i do much off road riding, ive currently got a cannondale MTB with slicks, and generally ride on small country lanes / tarmac farm tracks)
    What shifters? Are they part of the brake lever or separate?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown