Another Milestone Passed

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Been cycling for 9 months now and having done my first 50miler last week, I've achieved another of my personal targets... Average speed of 18.0mph on a flat 23 mile route.
I had previously done 19mph over 17miles but this was in one direction with a tail wind.
Today's route was a proper loop for an equal share of head/tail wind.

What personal targets have my fellow beginners achieved recently?

I've recently been working on my climbing so I shall probably set a climbing target for my next goal - perhaps 2000ft in a single ride.

Comments

• Nice one. Did 2,000 feet of climbing for the first time on Saturday, over 56 miles. I was actually a bit disappointed as I thought it was more than that! I'm probably going to need to double this before the sportives I'm doing in the summer start. There's one with a lot of climbing in September, over 112 miles.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Could that be the limitations of the hardware/software you are using? My garmin is sometimes a little sparing with the climb and I recalibrate the elevation on strava
  • Could be. The GPS on my HTC Desire is awful. It's failed to record several rides/runs, and frequently records straight lines. Upgrading at the end of the month.
  • CleeRider
    Stupot101 wrote:
    Nice one. Did 2,000 feet of climbing for the first time on Saturday, over 56 miles. I was actually a bit disappointed as I thought it was more than that! I'm probably going to need to double this before the sportives I'm doing in the summer start. There's one with a lot of climbing in September, over 112 miles.
    I recently did 1200ft over 28 miles and felt the same - thought I had climbed more! :)
    But then Mount Everest is only about 29,000ft so it's good going actually.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Congrats on the milestone.As for strava climbing I thought its out a tad so did a test.there,s a hill by my house that is 1030ft and thats accurate,(infact it looks down on the mound they made for The english man who went up a hill and dwon a mountain film).I took the dog for a walk with strava recording and it measured it at 918ft,so thats hell of a difference.Also the steepness was way understated on strava.
    Think you just have to accept it as a rough guide and i suppose it give under just aw much as over readings.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • sancho_uk
    sancho_uk Posts: 141
    Achieved a similar milestone last weekend.. been Cycling for 14 weeks and signed up to Tour of the Peaks sportive..

So for training went to Billinge with a friend of mine and tackled a few hills.. The trip was 50 miles (first 50 miler), and we did just over 2000ft of climbing..

So all in all it was a good outing, beautiful day last Saturday as well :)
    Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012
  • Nice job. Been back at the cycling proper for 7 months, doing my first 50 miler on 20th with a ride around the isle of Arran. Total ascent on that loop is around 3,500ft which is making me a tad apprehensive as the most I have managed so far is 2,300 on a 45 mile run.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    CleeRider wrote:
    Average speed of 18.0mph on a flat 23 mile
    What personal targets have my fellow beginners achieved.

I think you need to tell us your age, that way the more fossilised participants on the forum ( i.e me!) won't feel to bad if they learn you are 20 years younger than them when speeding along.

Regards
    Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    Congrats.

Just did 3 consecutive rides so far this week. Usually only get my 6 mile commute each day and 1 biggish run ( for me :P ) on a day off. Decided on Sunday that seeing this week isn't too bad, considering the crap weather we've been having, I was going to try and do 7 days straight ( plenty time to rest next week when I'm back at work ).

So far I've done 40, 35 & 35 miles.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/48176203
    http://app.strava.com/activities/47977236
    http://app.strava.com/activities/47878621

The Strava challenge this month is keeping me motivated. I'll be lucky to do 30% of it but it's keeping me going. Actually surprised my legs haven't been too bad either.
  • CleeRider
    farrina wrote:
    CleeRider wrote:
    Average speed of 18.0mph on a flat 23 mile
    What personal targets have my fellow beginners achieved.

I think you need to tell us your age, that way the more fossilised participants on the forum ( i.e me!) won't feel to bad if they learn you are 20 years younger than them when speeding along.

Regards
    Alan

I'm actually 38 and had done zero exercise in the 20 years prior to this so I'm currently amazing myself with these achievements. As I've said in a couple of other threads, this probably saved me from an early death due to inactivity.
    I should also share my training record in case it helps...
    3 rides a week - mostly a 15 mile flat route for the first 7-8 months. Now doing 20+miles with 1000ft climbs or longer flat routes up to the recent 50.
  • Age 48 First 50 mile 2 week ago did another 50 this Saturday with 3550 ft of ascents and my first sportive this Sunday smoked 20 fags a day and did no or very little exercise around 7 /8 months ago I can't believe I can now cycle 50 mile lol
  • CleeRider
    Age 48 First 50 mile 2 week ago did another 50 this Saturday with 3550 ft of ascents and my first sportive this Sunday smoked 20 fags a day and did no or very little exercise around 7 /8 months ago I can't believe I can now cycle 50 mile lol
    Absolutely brilliant work - an inspiration for me to work towards :)
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Stupot101 wrote:
    Could be. The GPS on my HTC Desire is awful. It's failed to record several rides/runs, and frequently records straight lines. Upgrading at the end of the month.
    Thats not just your phone, mine is Google galaxy nexus and is still susceptible to the straight line syndrome :|
    nothing at all is even more infuriating, seemed to happen more when it was bad weather I'm guessing its the GPS systems under load :?

Having previously had a HTC desire i would just bin it tbh :lol: mine constantly over heated :evil:

Going for my own 50 miler this weekend weather permitting, glad to see i'm not the only one new at it :)