What are you wearing?

ol9
ol9 Posts: 50
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Newbie seeks advice on suitable clothing for 22mile round commute :D

I've aquired a Gore Phantom Jacket just need to know what else to buy - Is Decathlon gear any good?

Comments

• anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    3 pairs of bibshorts, 2 Pearl izumi, 1 gore. Will buy more pearl izumi, they seem to fit me the best.
    2 pairs of leg warmers from Lidl - prefer these to full length bib tights.
    5 cheapo base layers from sports direct
    5 jerseys, - 2 more mile from LBS, 1 pearl izumi, 1 gore and 1 for my Local club
    Local club design goretex coat
    Aldi full winter gloves
    been rotating through these all winter and haven't been cold. Can easy put a layer in my backpack if its warmer on my way home.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I really like my one of these:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/insulat-3-ls-jersey-white-red-id_8216556.html
    Fits tight and is warm. I wear it with a base layer. I might have to buy another of these - really like it.

I also have some of these:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/3-4-cycling-bib-tights-5-flat-id_6374136.html
    The quality is OK. They're a bit see through though.

When I was starting out last year I visited TK Maxx a few times and got some half decent base layers, merino jumpers and some thermal tights. Then I went to Sports Direct and got a couple of pairs of Muddy Fox padded tights, some socks and some MTB jerseys to keep costs down.
  • Daddy0 wrote:
    I really like my one of these:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/insulat-3-ls-jersey-white-red-id_8216556.html
    Fits tight and is warm. I wear it with a base layer. I might have to buy another of these - really like it.

I've one of these too. With a L/S base layer and a gilet. I'm warm enough in just about any weather. Using one of their cheaper, lighter L/S jerseys this week with their black gilet.

I prefer gilets to jackets, which make you sweat buckets no matter how "breathable" they are.

Most of my stuff is Decathlon. No complaints so far. Avoid the "3" range. The 5/7 range are great.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    That is rather personal, are you going to phone me and start heavy breathing too? ;)

I have a mix of DHB, gore and whatever else I find on sale when I need it. The gore stuff is noticably better quality though. I went for padded tights and shorts rather than bibs for no reason other than I just couldn't bring myself to buy them! Also vital are good warm socks (I have DeFeet), decent overshoes and good gloves. I also like to wear a buff (otherwise known as a man snood).
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    You guys know summer is coming right?

A few pairs of bib shorts (bibs are much better than shorts as they keep the pad in place) and a few Jerseys, wash them during the week if you have to.

Winter gear can wait til the winter,
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • anthdci
    rubertoe wrote:

Have you seen outside recently? I got hailed stoned on last week! summer maybe coming but it's taking its sweet ass time about it.
  • rubertoe
    anthdci wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Have you seen outside recently? I got hailed stoned on last week! summer maybe coming but it's taking its sweet ass time about it.

I thought you northerners went out without any clothes on anyway?

Just a thought for non bank breaking clothing, keep an eye out for Aldi cycling gear, i hear a rumor that one is coming up very soon and the stuff is surprisingly good.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• anthdci
    rubertoe wrote:

:lol: not quite.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    rubertoe wrote:
    anthdci wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Just a thought for non bank breaking clothing, keep an eye out for Aldi cycling gear, i hear a rumor that one is coming up very soon and the stuff is surprisingly good.

Sports direct have some offers on too.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Top tip i've recently discovered is using a pair of compression socks / lightweight ski socks to bridge the gap between 3/4 tights & "normal" socks - gives you an extra layer of insulation when it's cold, plus it might just save you buying a pair of full length tights. Did this for a couple of weeks when the weather was just above freezing & managed to get away with my existing 3/4 DHB roubaix bibs instead of stumping up more £££ for heavier, full length winter tights.

For the last month or two i've been doing this in combination with a random Nike compression vest-top, with a "close fitting" lightweight DHB merino long sleeve base over that & another slightly heavier random merino high-necked long sleeve top over that... when it rains it all goes to cock as the only waterproof I have isn't very breatheable & you need to remove a layer or two or risk arriving to work in a pool of your own sweat :|

As for brands, as previously mentioned DHB are very good price wise (especially when Wiggle's got it 50% off) - Endura & Altura stuff is decent for the price & Gore's more £££ but is generally as good as you'll need.
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • kalioon
    kalioon Posts: 59
    +1 for sports direct ( muddy fox?). Got some bib tights for 15 quid, used them for about 8 months now, still going strong. Regatta base layer on top, with a alturo attack jersey. Bibs are the answer, as they cover your back, keep pada in place, and more importantly, don't get pulled down. Planning on getting some sports direct bib shorts for the warmer weather.

Edit: also used to wear a enduro windproof gillet, but its been relegated to a pocket since its a bit warmer.
  • menthel
    Just to add that I used my jacket for the first time today. Pearl Izumi Pro Barrier Lite. It was wonderful- waterproof, windproof and yet still breathable. Also folds up ting and weighs nothing at all. Superb for the £50 I paid.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • My ex police goretex fleece with the reflective blue checks but police badges removed is making me seem very visible at the moment, so far seen 2 mobile phones rapidly disappear from view and a lot more courtesy shown from motorists :-)
  • CStar
    CStar Posts: 63
    I wonder why? :D

Any suggestions on hard wearing baggy shorts for commuting. Lycra for my road bike, but prefer baggies on my hybrid. Have worn out a couple of pairs of cheapo ordinary shorts. Don't need lined ones. I've looked at altura and endura, but there are so many versions, I'm not sure where to start.
    MTB: Self-built Santa Cruz Highball Alloy 10 Spd Deore.
    Winter: Emmelle 1980's Reynolds Steel retro
    Summer: Specialized Secteur Elite w. upgrades.
    Commuter: Fausto Coppi San Remo
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    CStar wrote:
    I wonder why? :D

Any suggestions on hard wearing baggy shorts for commuting. Lycra for my road bike, but prefer baggies on my hybrid. Have worn out a couple of pairs of cheapo ordinary shorts. Don't need lined ones. I've looked at altura and endura, but there are so many versions, I'm not sure where to start.

Humvees.

Decathlon stuff I've learned recently ranges from absolute toss to really very good. The 5 range is good the 7 bibshorts are excellent the basic stuff is, erm ok for commuting. If you're going for the lycra look, then I'd avoid the really cheap jerseys, if your going for baggies I'd say they'd be fine.

The Aldi cycle sale is normally the first week of May, better save a couple of tenners myself.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    Bit depressing that I'd got the work cycling sale date memorised I think that says a lot about me.
    2nd of may anyway, selection is up on the website I hope there's more though looks poor this year.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • It's all bargain basement for me! Today I had on an Umbro training top from the gym, a Crane Bike (Aldi's finest cycling range :twisted: ) cycling jacket, a pair of ancient Tracksters over a pair of Muddy Fox (now Sports Direct's finest cycling range :shock: ) cycling shorts as well as a pair of Halford's Bike shack fleecy gloves (I do resent buying stuff at Halford's, but it was Sunday and I'd lost one of my usual gloves and there was no way I was riding gloveless in the recent cold snap!) . Today I had on my new Mavic cycling shoes that arrived last week which I rather like.

I also have been wearing a Gull wind/water-resistant jacket over the top plus some Crane bib trousers

This set up works for my short 5 mile e/w ride so I'm happy to use cheaper stuff
  • rubertoe
    I'll say it again,

You know its summer right?

• It's still in single figures of a morning where I live. According to my diary, summer up here is on July 17th
  • rubertoe
    I leave at 5:45 am every day, wearing shorts, woolie boolies, L/S jersey and a gillet.

Its single figures

• menthel
    Now converted to something a bit cooler. DHB padded undershorts, nike shorts, craft light sleeveless base and gore SS top. Still in my woolie boolies though- my feet get a little chilly!
    RIP commute...
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Altura bib shorts
    LS shirt am, SS shirt pm
    Woolie Boolies

.... might all change tomorrow, as it's meant to be a bit cooler than of late
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I go out with a base layer, 3/4 bib tights, jersey, arm warmers and depending on how cold/windy a gilet over it.

Perfect for this time of the year.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • lockstock666
    lockstock666 Posts: 131
    I was a little chilly in my new shorts and SS jersey this morning. Got some of the Tenn gear off of Amazon and was in a rush to wear it! It's very comfortable, fits me perfectly and seems good quality too. I'll definitely be increasing my collection.

The ride home will be a very pleasant 14° compared to the 4° this morning.
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    I was a little chilly in my new shorts and SS jersey this morning. Got some of the Tenn gear off of Amazon and was in a rush to wear it! It's very comfortable, fits me perfectly and seems good quality too. I'll definitely be increasing my collection.

The ride home will be a very pleasant 14° compared to the 4° this morning.

Freezing this morning and was in my Lidl 3/4 Shorts, thick SS base, LS Mizuno top and gilet...and buff for neck and headband and cycling cap. Should have worn my Crane Aldi Softshell!...and waiting for the afternoon ride home.
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • rubertoe
    Its very annoying at this time of year,

big temp swing, it was 3 degrees when I set off this morning, and it will be 16 when i leave this evening.

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Arm warmers and gilet best things you can have in weather like this.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Aldi is tomorrow, get there early

at the moment I am wearing bibs and some thin old Ron hill tights in the morning (that can be ditched in the afternoon), baselayer and SS jersey, summer gloves and a cap under the helmet - a gilet if it's cold
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    rubertoe wrote:
    Its very annoying at this time of year,

big temp swing, it was 3 degrees when I set off this morning, and it will be 16 when i leave this evening.

Agree...also forgot to mention, I take a spare pair of fingerless gloves in the rucksack on commute home which should be warmer!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • prawny
    edhornby wrote:
    Aldi is tomorrow, get there early

The Mrs went for me at half 9, hardly anything left! Scavengers.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017