Am i being a tart? What Spoke Colour

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Just in the process of oredering some spokes for my new rims and was after advice.

I have a Lapierre X-Control finished in lovely White, Blue and Black My new ZTR rims are finished in fetching white and i have blue anodised hubs. So the all important question is....

So i get standard silver spokes fitted to the wheels? Or do i pay an extra £13 per wheel and have some super sexy black spokes?? I am thinking just go for the standard silver. But a girl needs to make sure her colar matches her cuffs!

By the way im not a girl.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Spokes should be black.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spokes should be black.
    EOT
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • russyh
    EOT???
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Always black, plus silver spokes and white rims will look naff.
  • russyh
    Thinking i will go for Black. Just trying to justify the extra £13 per wheel. In the grand scheme of things its a drop in the ocean. Obviously black spokes will be much faster than the vanila silver version.
  • Chunkers1980
    Nope that's red.
  • russyh
    No no no, Red for hubs is fast. Its a well know scentifically proven fact that red spokes increase the drag curve of a wheel. The study was caried out by the same bloke that found out Carbon bikes melt when it rains.
  • Yes you are being a tart, black all day long thou mate!!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    As above^. Yes you are, but black is easier to keep clean and stays looking good for longer
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • russyh
    Done, Black ordered. If it looks s&!t i will blame you lot and expect you all to chip in to get the wheels relaced.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Not really a tart question as you did not say I want red/blue/white spokes which I think would be a bit overkill but its your bike.

If it were me I'd spend that bit more and go with black spokes.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Too late for me to vote Silver on the basis the black adds weight then!

Tend to agree, white rims, black spokes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Standard Lapierre owners thread.
  • russyh
    No Coloured spokes (I mean not black, silver or white) would look Naff. What is the extra weight of a black spoke? I doubt its a problem given i carry a load of water on my back. :lol:

Standard Lapierre Owners thread?? Please, please, please tell me Lapierre owners stereotype. I may have to sell my bike if i am labelling myself as a moron.

Its genuinely an important question, i have spent more time choosing wheel components than i did selecting a wife...
  • Chunkers1980
    I'd consider white a coloured spoke. Black is not a colour, it is how they should be.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Too late for me to vote Silver on the basis the black adds weight then!

Surely not? White does, as they're powdercoated, but black and silver weigh the same don't they!?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The black is a coating, so must weigh 'something', silver is the natural finish....

I have some Sapims (as well as some cheaper ones) and the coating has worn off where the spokes cross and rub, looks like paint.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Russyh wrote:
    Standard Lapierre Owners thread?? Please, please, please tell me Lapierre owners stereotype. I may have to sell my bike if i am labelling myself as a moron.

Not a moron, just a tart.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Standard Lapierre owners thread.

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8