BB compatibility / bearing swap

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

just picked up a secondhand SLX crankset and BB (M660 and BB70) but the non-drive side cup is shagged (bearing rusted solid).

Just wondering what my options are for a replacement? Are all shimano HT11 types cross compatible?
What about other brands? Who makes BBs that work with HT11, and which do you rate?

Alternatively, has anyone successfully done a bearing swap on one of these and where did you get the bearings from? I followed instructions to disassemble the casing, and am fairly confident in my ability to swap them over but don't know what size I'd need or where to get them.

Thanks in advance,
jim

PS - in case it's important, the shell is 68mm english thread

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Any HTII bb or HTII compatible from the likes of hope.

12 quid buys a new Deore or just over 20 for xt, Germany may have cheap xtr ones but not looked in a while. Can't change the bearings fr the housing, but you can peel the seals off and pack some grease in.
  • jimothy78
    Any HTII bb or HTII compatible from the likes of hope.

yes, but how do I tell which are compatible? For instance, CRC has loads of BBs from loads of brands, but as far as I can see, almost none of them explicitly state which spindle standard they are designed to work with.
    Can't change the bearings fr the housing, but you can peel the seals off and pack some grease in.

Plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest you can, with a bit of ingenuity. But again, hard to find out which ones fit...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As said any HT 2 bb set up will work. Be aware shimano road versions have less threads.

As to which. Take your pick.

GXP and HT2 are not cross compatible.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    Ok, thanks for the tips (although I'm still not sure which third-party ones are HTII compatible).

Anyway, Rose had the XTR BB90 ones for £25 including postage, so have gone for that.