Removing truvativ crank

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
Trying to remove front middle chainring but can't get the crank off...
I have a truvativ GXP crankset - I use allen keys to remove an outer threaded cap and and an inner bolt-like think inside. I then expect the left crank to just pop off but it's firmly fixed.

Do I need to unscrew something else or is it just stuck?

Apologies if basic question.....

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    you dont remove the outer threaded cap.

with the outer cap in place use an allen key in the smaller bolt and unscrew. the left crank arm should then come off.
  • desmorrow
    Hi,
    I'm not sure what you mean? What do you mean by the smaller bolt? I don't see this on my set-up?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    put it all back together and then undo the inner bolt ONLY.

this pushes on the ring and pulls the arm off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • desmorrow
    ahhhh, I see now what you mean! I'll try that when I get the kids to bed! Thanks!
  • desmorrow
    That worked a treat - when I put the cranks back in do I use a liberal amount of grease or what is recommended? I see there seems to be covers to the bottom bracket when i remove the cranks - I clean around these with a dry cloth and grease? They're a bit gritty.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Quick squirt with a solvent on a cloth or piece of kitchen roll and wipe away, one of the few uses for WD40 on a bike!
    If the axle is grity to turn, the bearings are probably on their way out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    desmorrow wrote:
    That worked a treat - when I put the cranks back in do I use a liberal amount of grease or what is recommended? I see there seems to be covers to the bottom bracket when i remove the cranks - I clean around these with a dry cloth and grease? They're a bit gritty.
    reading the manual does help
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/aV8_n ... -rev_1.pdf
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I just spent a very frustrating few hours trying to remove my SRAM GXP spindle too. I checked on the net and watched lots of videos that show the spindle (axle) just sliding out of the bottom bracket. Maybe because my commuting bike is a little old, but it does not slide out. It is tricky. There is a a collar on the spindle that prevents it sliding out past the bottom bearing. Try the following procedure.

1) Remove the chain.
    2) Remove the non-drive side crank arm. (as shown in all the videos)
    3) Tap the spindle with a rubber mallet until the drive side slips out of the drive side bearing about 1.5 cm.
    4) Use your C shaped bottom bracket wrench to remove the drive side bearing cover / cup. (you cannot use a full circle wrench, it must be a c shaped wrench).
    5) The spindle (axle) should now slide out (as shown on all the videos). However, all the inner workings also slide out.

I could not figure out how to dismantle the internal seals around the axle, even when it was on my work bench!
    This crank/axle design is certainly not standard!
    Even after I replaced the crank and axle, I cannot find any information on the net about how to do it.

It took me a long time and effort to do this for the first time! Also, I caused some damage to the inner plastic tube by hammering too hard . Good luck!
  • nicklouse
    sounds more like your bearing has seperated than there being anything new or different.

also i think after 2 years the OP will have done this a few times if they still have the same bike.
  • you dont remove the outer threaded cap.

with the outer cap in place use an allen key in the smaller bolt and unscrew. the left crank arm should then come off.

Thank you there is very little on the net to explain so thank you!!