New rider, having some issues.

BianchiBiker
BianchiBiker Posts: 21
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hey guys, I am a new/returning rider.
I am 19 years old and about 5 years ago used to attend weekly junior sessions at a local track that is used for racing etc.
I loved it but was never able to afford my own bike, regularly having to use the loan bikes on the circuit. I didn't mind but always wanted something snazzy.

Anyway 5 years down the line I have saved up enough money for a bike (Bianchi Via Nirone 7) and when taking delivery fell in love. Not the most expensive of bikes out there on the roads but set me back a fair penny and I reckon it is gonna be worth every penny.

Over the period of September 2012 until now I became quite ill, with what was suspected IBS turning into GERD and worse. I lost a lot of weight and would actually say I'm quite bothered by this. Over the months I have been ill I struggled to eat much and became near anaemic.

I have made massive strides in health over the last month, and am definitely on the mend. As soon as I received my bike I rang up two friends (much better cyclists than myself) and we decided to go for a ride. I think we only did around 7 miles but by the time I got home I was spent. I had a peanut butter sandwich as soon as I got in the door, and some water. I felt fine.

Yesterday I went for a second ride with the same friends, and we did 15-17 miles. Quite a big jump.
I had a peanut butter sandwich, an apple and some water again to recover. However later in the day I came down with a cold and thumping headache, which I still have as I type this. Hot sweats etc. I am asking, did I do too much too soon? after a few years break?

I also have a sore butt, however that is simply because I am a new rider on a hard road seat I'm sure.

I appreciate any advice and feedback, and look forward to reading any replies.
Thanks!

Comments

• pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Your coming back from a chronic ailment, take it steady and look after yourself off as well as on the bike. Doubt it will be long before your flying.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Thanks for the reply so soon!. Yes that is my mum's thoughts too. Mum's know best eh ;)
    Loving it so far, so will be taking it slow from now on. Now I have to find a way to tell my mates to go even slower! They are kinda supportive but in a typical 19 y/o way can be a bit overbearing at times.

Thanks again!
  • nedmoran
    nedmoran Posts: 53
    You might already be doing this, but if not. Make sure your hydrated before a ride and also eating something during the day thats going to give you enough energy to be able to do your ride. Try getting out without your mates between rides to build a bit of strength/endurance at a pace you can manage. I'm also quite new to road cycling but am improving rapidly, which i put down to my prep before a ride(just the long ones). I start hydrating and eating good carbs the day before a long ride.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    You mentioned about them being better cyclists, you may have pushed too hard to keep up? Don't be afraid to ask them to slow down a bit. Considering the struggle you have had they should be cool with that. Either way, well done for getting back to it.
  • nedmoran wrote:
    You might already be doing this, but if not. Make sure your hydrated before a ride and also eating something during the day thats going to give you enough energy to be able to do your ride. Try getting out without your mates between rides to build a bit of strength/endurance at a pace you can manage. I'm also quite new to road cycling but am improving rapidly, which i put down to my prep before a ride(just the long ones). I start hydrating and eating good carbs the day before a long ride.

Thanks guys, Nedmoran, I try to stay very hydrated most of the time, especially when riding. Consuming large amounts of water per day, has really helped settle down my acidic symptoms. I haven't eaten whilst out and about so maybe that is something good to consider, what do you reccomend to eat? Would an apple suffice or do you reccomend something more substantial.
    You mentioned about them being better cyclists, you may have pushed too hard to keep up? Don't be afraid to ask them to slow down a bit. Considering the struggle you have had they should be cool with that. Either way, well done for getting back to it.

Supermurph09, yes they are much better than me :). I dont mind that but they are also what I would consider elitist cyclists. ( no offence intended to them they have been very motivational). However, because of this they can be a little pushy so am not sure how they would take to being asked to slow down even MORE. I do have another friendship group who are at a closer level to me so it might be worth speaking to them and seeing if they would like to go for rides.
    Thanks for the kind words guys I really do appreciate it all!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I had a bad illness a while back and lost around 6KG - ended up being the same weight as Contador. I've put it back on again now though:(

Make sure you take it easy to start - try to increase the length of your rides by 3-4 miles per week, but if it feels too much just go back to what you were doing the previous week again and try again in a week or two.

Saddles are very much a personal thing - one person can absolutely love a saddle but someone else couldn't sit on it for more than 5 minutes. I presume you've got some cycling shorts with a pad?

I have a friend that used to be much faster than me, and I got really annoyed that I couldn't keep up. I'm now faster than him and leave him behind sometimes - it's amazing how much quicker you'll get in a few months.

MOST OF ALL - enjoy riding!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • nedmoran
    nedmoran Posts: 53
    I usually don't take anything to eat on short rides(around 20 miles) but a couple of bananas on anything above 40. I found it hard to build up the miles at first as i was cycling to fast. I knocked the speed down slightly and the miles keep growing. I've been getting out a couple of times a week this year(weather permitting)for 20 mile rides and at the weekends i do a long run of around 65miles, but try and focus on enjoyment and the surroundings. After ignoring my avg speed for a couple of months i've been amazed at how much it has come on by just putting in the miles at the weekend and a couple of rides during the week. I also drink carbohydrate drinks instead of plain water when on a long ride.
  • Thanks! Yeah I went from 13st to 9 so lost a lot of strength and endurance. I think I will get used to the saddle the more I ride, so am not too worried about that, just another part of my body that has to get used to riding again!

I am going to take everyone's advice and take it slower from now on, and go on a few solo rides to build myself up.

Thanks guys!