singlespeed bike for training

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
i have an old dawes giro which im considering turning into a singlepeed . anyone use one for riding / training ?

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Most Gyros have vertical dropouts with capacity to move the axle for chain tension.
  • MichaelW wrote:
    Most Gyros have vertical dropouts without! capacity to move the axle for chain tension.

You'd have to use something like Surly's (excellent) Singleator to tension your chain.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    I use mine to commute to work.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Probably wouldnt be any good for training, but it'd be good for riding to work on.
  • Fixed would be better than singlespeed, but there are various reasons for training on a fixed gear bike. Not all of your training, obviously...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Fixed would be better than singlespeed, but there are various reasons for training on a fixed gear bike. Not all of your training, obviously...

Why is a fixed better than a singlespeed?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Because a fixed gear will help with pedal stroke and cadence, amongst other things, as well as providing a much harder workout, since you can't stop pedalling.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I have a drop bar SS (new) which I use for commuting, plus rides after work via Richmound park and the odd 50 miler into the North Downs.

Great fun, I don't use Fixed as well, while I can see why folks like it, when your threading past potholed roads or got a lovely decent off Leith Hill it's just a royal pain.
  • Great to ride. Not really much use for training (conclusion reached after commuting singlespeed/fixed for the last two winters). Far too much time spent in the completely wrong gear which I can replicate quite easily anyway on the geared bike!
  • In defense of SS I must say from experience that, given it's set up with the right gear ratio (I like ±6 gear/meters), a single speed may be an excellent training ride. It can help find cadence, improve muscular endurance, include short power burst uphill and rollouts in high rpm downhill making up for a very complete aerobic/anearobic workout.

ss is all about using what you got.. How is that wrong for training??!
  • I think riding a fix gets you fitter quicker, all this crap about it rounding out your pedal stroke is just untrue from my experience it worsens it but whenever i ride my fixed solely for like a week and then go on the geared bike i am noticeable stronger. I hate riding the thing though
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    When the wind blows, mash it. Tailwind, spin it and a hill, hammer it. Bit of everything, love fixed, get a much better rhythm.