Issues with new bike purchase

dmr180
dmr180 Posts: 42
edited April 2013 in Road general
Hi
I recently purchased an Orbea Onix ttg 2012 from cycle surgery and had a few issues. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced similar.
issues were.
1. I ordered on 24/3/13 and was told to collect on 1/4/13 but could not due to work so I booked the day off on Tuesday 4/4/13. When I got to the store, which is 25 miles from home, I was informed it had not been built yet and the mechanic was away till 6/4/13. Not a good start. The bike was then delivered 6/4/13.
2. Despite the mechanic stating otherwise, the gearing is not set up correctly. Massive chain rub and wont shift into the big ring.
3. Having contacted the store no apology has been made. They simply said gears are fine and if im not happy bring it back. Problem is I lost a days pay the first time plus travel expenses and not a penny has been offered in return.

So as you can imagine all faith I once had in this store and its staff has gone.

Comments

  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited April 2013
    Not great but I think I would have confirmed it was ready before going to pick it up. Especially as they told you to collect on April Fools day.

    When did they give you that date? When you ordered it? If so I would not have just trusted it would be built and driven over there.
    Were they even open on the 1st April? It was a bank holiday. The 4th of April was a Thursday, not a Tuesday.
    Did you call them to say you would not be picking up on the 1st? If you had did they say anything about it being built then?
    I would not go 2 miles to a bike shop without hearing (or being text) the words.....Your bike is ready for collection.
  • Sounds like they were in the typical bike store rush to get things done.

    Have them re-adjust, and give them a second chance. If you are not satisfied, there are hundreds of other bike shops looking for your business, and the smaller ones are eager to please and take care of cyclists!
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    dmr180 wrote:
    Hi
    2. Despite the mechanic stating otherwise, the gearing is not set up correctly. Massive chain rub and wont shift into the big ring.

    I imagine this is frustrating for you (after all having parted with our hard earned cash we all like to receive the shiny oiled specimen of perfection).

    The errors listed above suggest that the front changer mechanism/cable requires some adjustment. Its not rocket science and should only require an allen key or the likes.

    Why not have a look here http://sheldonbrown.com/front-derailers.html and have a go yourself - there is no reason (specialist tools excepted - which you can like many of course buy or wheel building which is a skill in itself) for you to not have a bash at bike maintenance.

    Best wishes and enjoy your new bike.

    Regards

    Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • dmr180
    dmr180 Posts: 42
    my mistake with the original dates.
    Ordered 23/3
    Told would be ready by 30/3
    Went to store 2/4 when it was still not built
    Finally delivered 4/4

    I told them I could not collect on the 30th but they said no problems it will be ready for then anyway so it should have been waiting fir me all done and dusted by the Tuesday.

    They have offered a free 6 week check like every other store does but im still waiting for an apology for my lost earnings and travel costs. Something tells me ill be waiting a long time.

    I may adjust myself or take it to my lbs. Dont think ill bother with chain store bike shops in future.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    dmr180 wrote:
    my mistake with the original dates.
    Ordered 23/3
    Told would be ready by 30/3
    Went to store 2/4 when it was still not built
    Finally delivered 4/4

    I told them I could not collect on the 30th but they said no problems it will be ready for then anyway so it should have been waiting fir me all done and dusted by the Tuesday.

    They have offered a free 6 week check like every other store does but im still waiting for an apology for my lost earnings and travel costs. Something tells me ill be waiting a long time.

    I may adjust myself or take it to my lbs. Dont think ill bother with chain store bike shops in future.

    Just mark it down as a lesson learned and move on. Get yourself a workstand, some tools and a bike maintenance book and do it yourself. The initial outlay will pay for itself once you carry out a few services of your own. Quite satisfying to do too. The Zinn books are very good for BTW.

    It will take you about 15-30 minutes to do the 6 week 'check' that CS were offering you. That's with a 10 minute tea break too :)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • dmr180 wrote:
    Problem is I lost a days pay the first time plus travel expenses and not a penny has been offered in return.
    dmr180 wrote:

    They have offered a free 6 week check like every other store does but im still waiting for an apology for my lost earnings and travel costs. Something tells me ill be waiting a long time.

    Are you being serious that they should compensate you?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ive had no problems with cycle surgery, ive had to take my bike back twice and both for gear related once back mech and once chain rub issues and both times they have been more than helpfull, and fixed it on the spot no hassle
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    dmr180 wrote:
    Problem is I lost a days pay the first time plus travel expenses and not a penny has been offered in return.
    dmr180 wrote:

    They have offered a free 6 week check like every other store does but im still waiting for an apology for my lost earnings and travel costs. Something tells me ill be waiting a long time.

    Are you being serious that they should compensate you?

    I would think an apology and a good discount on some accessories/clothing (as well as checking the bike over) would be in order.

    If they say the bike will be ready by a date and it isn't then they've stuffed up on a promise. That's not good customer service, but it can happen - how it's dealt with would then be the measure of repeat business. They've posted the bike out - which is a good start - but either the bike wasn't set up properly to start with or something has dislodged in transit. It's most likely the latter - and that's the issue with posting something - you can never be 100% sure it's arrived how it was sent.

    As for the "work" element - not everyone works 9-5 and some ppl have to book days off well in advance, we can't all drop out of work at a moments notice - or cancel holiday with the same notice - so if someone says they'll have something ready by a certain date and you've booked holiday to coincide then it can be a pretty big deal if said item is not ready.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    not everyone works 9-5 and some ppl have to book days off well in advance, we can't all drop out of work at a moments notice - or cancel holiday with the same notice - so if someone says they'll have something ready by a certain date and you've booked holiday to coincide then it can be a pretty big deal if said item is not ready.

    Depends on the subtleties though doesn't it. If you ring up and ask them when it will be ready and they say "in two weeks time" and you then turn up at the shop two weeks later and find no bike then IMO you should hardly be surprised.

    If, on the other hand, you ring them again a day or two before and say "can you confirm that the bike will be definitely ready on Thursday guaranteed as I will have to take an unpaid days leave to collect it" they will probably make sure that the response is the correct one.

    Personally, if I'd been the OP I would have rung them up to confirm it was already complete and only then arranged to come over and pick it up.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • eskay
    eskay Posts: 57
    I had similar issues with a bike that I purchased through the halford's bike to work scheme. It was supplied in a shocking condition (mechanically). I complained to their head office (4 times) before getting a reply that suggested I should go back and they would remedy it. I had already sorted it all out myslef and informed them that they were not competent enough for me to ever take my bike back to them. I never heard from them again!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    not everyone works 9-5 and some ppl have to book days off well in advance, we can't all drop out of work at a moments notice - or cancel holiday with the same notice - so if someone says they'll have something ready by a certain date and you've booked holiday to coincide then it can be a pretty big deal if said item is not ready.

    Depends on the subtleties though doesn't it. If you ring up and ask them when it will be ready and they say "in two weeks time" and you then turn up at the shop two weeks later and find no bike then IMO you should hardly be surprised.
    That's a vague date - so no, I wouldn't expect to turn up exactly two weeks later and find it built - although a day after and it "should" be ..
    Rolf F wrote:
    If, on the other hand, you ring them again a day or two before and say "can you confirm that the bike will be definitely ready on Thursday guaranteed as I will have to take an unpaid days leave to collect it" they will probably make sure that the response is the correct one.
    Well - some ppl cannot give that little notice about holiday plans - so you'd have to hope that the phone call would prompt the shop into building it.
    Rolf F wrote:
    Personally, if I'd been the OP I would have rung them up to confirm it was already complete and only then arranged to come over and pick it up.
    Once bitten twice shy?
    I had a wasted trip to buy my new bike - went once to see it (having been told it would be built up for me - I hadn't committed to buying) and it was partially built - having agreed to buy it I had to go away and come back - I did phone before returning and iirc it was the next day before it was ready - I was a little narked with the delay, but not enough to cause a fuss...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited April 2013
    Slowbike wrote:

    Depends on the subtleties though doesn't it. If you ring up and ask them when it will be ready and they say "in two weeks time" and you then turn up at the shop two weeks later and find no bike then IMO you should hardly be surprised.
    That's a vague date - so no, I wouldn't expect to turn up exactly two weeks later and find it built - although a day after and it "should" be ..[/quote]



    Why would you expect it to be built the day after the vague dated non built day?

    I think both parties are at fault and it just needs to be put down to experience.
    If the shop is such a hassle to get to you are better off going somewhere more local from now on anyway.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    dmr180 wrote:
    my mistake with the original dates.
    Ordered 23/3
    Told would be ready by 30/3
    Went to store 2/4 when it was still not built
    Finally delivered 4/4

    I told them I could not collect on the 30th but they said no problems it will be ready for then anyway so it should have been waiting fir me all done and dusted by the Tuesday.

    They have offered a free 6 week check like every other store does but im still waiting for an apology for my lost earnings and travel costs. Something tells me ill be waiting a long time.

    I may adjust myself or take it to my lbs. Dont think ill bother with chain store bike shops in future.

    I am surprised they haven't done anything about your lost earnings. They were excellent when they messed up one of my orders and they gave me a £20 voucher for my troubles!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited April 2013
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    not everyone works 9-5 and some ppl have to book days off well in advance, we can't all drop out of work at a moments notice - or cancel holiday with the same notice - so if someone says they'll have something ready by a certain date and you've booked holiday to coincide then it can be a pretty big deal if said item is not ready.

    Depends on the subtleties though doesn't it. If you ring up and ask them when it will be ready and they say "in two weeks time" and you then turn up at the shop two weeks later and find no bike then IMO you should hardly be surprised.
    That's a vague date - so no, I wouldn't expect to turn up exactly two weeks later and find it built - although a day after and it "should" be ..
    Rolf F wrote:
    If, on the other hand, you ring them again a day or two before and say "can you confirm that the bike will be definitely ready on Thursday guaranteed as I will have to take an unpaid days leave to collect it" they will probably make sure that the response is the correct one.
    Well - some ppl cannot give that little notice about holiday plans - so you'd have to hope that the phone call would prompt the shop into building it.
    Rolf F wrote:
    Personally, if I'd been the OP I would have rung them up to confirm it was already complete and only then arranged to come over and pick it up.
    Once bitten twice shy?
    I had a wasted trip to buy my new bike - went once to see it (having been told it would be built up for me - I hadn't committed to buying) and it was partially built - having agreed to buy it I had to go away and come back - I did phone before returning and iirc it was the next day before it was ready - I was a little narked with the delay, but not enough to cause a fuss...

    I think my point is that if I had limited and unpaid leave that needed some arranging then I'd accept that and therefore accept that the bike might be built up a few days before I got it. Trouble is people have no patience and must have everything now.

    I travelled to Ribble to pick a bike up and confirmed it was complete before I travelled. My Look I wanted to see being built up so I went down the morning they told me it would be put together. In that case I'd checked and rechecked - right up to the day before and I'd have checked the morning itself if I hadn't had to leave before the shop opened it was that far away!

    It's just a case of how much you want to risk inconvenience to yourself. I don't want to drive 25 miles to a bike shop for nothing so I check and make sure it won't be a wasted journey. From that perspective, if I don't check and I get caught out then I'm not going to be expecting compensation from the shop for my failure to check - I'll get cross with myself for my own slackness!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Re gear rub issues, consider it a positive that you get the chance to learn how to adjust the gears on a brand new clean bike. Yeah it should have been right and it isn't, but adjusting gears is just one of those trivial things that needs doing from time to time if you have primitive cable-operated gears ho-ho.

    It really should be illegal to own a bike without being able to satisfactorily adjust gears & brakes and fix a puncture. It's a minimum requirement surely?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rolf F wrote:
    It's just a case of how much you want to risk inconvenience to yourself. I don't want to drive 25 miles to a bike shop for nothing so I check and make sure it won't be a wasted journey.
    But how much checking can you do?
    From my own personal experience - the shop I bought from said the bike would be built up for me to view (iirc for viewing on a Saturday) ... so I duly trundled down to the shop to find it hadn't been built ... was told it would be a couple of hours - I didn't wait around and came home after paying a deposit. Rang back a bit later to see if it was done - it wasn't ...
    Like you I couldn't ring before it was ready the next morning so had to take it on trust that it would be - I did impress on them that I would be less than impressed if it wasn't ready.... it was...
    That was a lot of hassle for a job that should've been easy - I wasn't after a fit or anything, just the bike.
    As it was I had a wasted journey ... and I'd think twice before buying from them again - the second being checking to make sure everything was ready for me ... but really - should I have to? Why shouldn't they be taken at their word?
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    dmr180 wrote:
    Hi
    I recently purchased an Orbea Onix ttg 2012 from cycle surgery and had a few issues. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced similar.
    issues were.
    1. I ordered on 24/3/13 and was told to collect on 1/4/13 but could not due to work so I booked the day off on Tuesday 4/4/13. When I got to the store, which is 25 miles from home, I was informed it had not been built yet and the mechanic was away till 6/4/13. Not a good start. The bike was then delivered 6/4/13.
    2. Despite the mechanic stating otherwise, the gearing is not set up correctly. Massive chain rub and wont shift into the big ring.
    3. Having contacted the store no apology has been made. They simply said gears are fine and if im not happy bring it back. Problem is I lost a days pay the first time plus travel expenses and not a penny has been offered in return.

    So as you can imagine all faith I once had in this store and its staff has gone.

    Thanks I will remember to avoid them like the plague then.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • dmr180
    dmr180 Posts: 42
    dmr180 wrote:
    Problem is I lost a days pay the first time plus travel expenses and not a penny has been offered in return.
    dmr180 wrote:

    They have offered a free 6 week check like every other store does but im still waiting for an apology for my lost earnings and travel costs. Something tells me ill be waiting a long time.

    Are you being serious that they should compensate you?


    Yes I'm being serious. I expect an apology at the very least. If someone gave you a date for collection then it should be ready on that date. They never even called me to say it wasn't ready. If the bike was being delivered and I hadn't been ready fir delivery then I would have been charged re-delivery for wasting THEIR time.
  • dmr180
    dmr180 Posts: 42
    Carbonator wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

    Depends on the subtleties though doesn't it. If you ring up and ask them when it will be ready and they say "in two weeks time" and you then turn up at the shop two weeks later and find no bike then IMO you should hardly be surprised.
    That's a vague date - so no, I wouldn't expect to turn up exactly two weeks later and find it built - although a day after and it "should" be ..



    Why would you expect it to be built the day after the vague dated non built day?

    I think both parties are at fault and it just needs to be put down to experience.
    If the shop is such a hassle to get to you are better off going somewhere more local from now on anyway.[/quote]

    Birmingham is the nearest city to me with shops that sell upper end spec bikes. Local shops only stock cheaper brands.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    living in warwickshire there are loads of towns with bike shops with high end bikes; ie coventry, leamington, kenilworth, rugby even lutterworth.

    why the need to go to birmingham?
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS