C2C tips and advice needed

leythervegas
leythervegas Posts: 191
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Me and a mate are planning on doing the Whitehaven to Newcastle routeover 3 days for our 40th birthdays early next year. Between now and then we need advice on the route, what we'll need, good pubs, good b&bs etc.

I have done the Whitehaven to Sunderland route a few years back and remember a few mistakes we made such as carrying everything in backpack instead of panniers, carrying too much in our packs and also finishing in Sunderland instead of Newcastle (or even robin hoods bay).

We have a couple of onone hardtails with chunky tires and will be looking for advice on panniers/racks that fit a scandal and a c456 and what tyres are recommended. I remember using chunky 2.35s last time and suffering for it.

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Why not use a luggage courier service and just use daypacks?
    We used one when we did the West Highland Way.We got clothes etc for 3 people in one case to save on costs.
    http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/riders-area/ ... -transfer/ for instance.
  • We've always done the C2C with hardtails, using backpacks to carry our clothes/tools/spares.
    (I use an Osprey Talon 22; large enough for my kit, well ventilated, bladder compatible and comfortable).
    To me, panniers are expensive for something that gets used once a year, and I don't like the additional weight on the bike.
    Other than that, we just swap the tyres to slicks (continental travel contacts 26 x 1.6).

As for places to stop, we normally do Penrith and then Allenheads if we are doing it over 3 days.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I did it over 4 days the other year. I think it can easily be done in 3.

Eat and sleep well and don't go mad on the first day else you'll be knackered for the rest.

Try the cafe on the Waskerly way, its ace. The cycle hub cafe, next to the Tyne and Free Trade pubs (both excellent also) on the Quayside just after you leave Newcastle is good too.

Oh and never go to Sunderland.

Have Fun
  • dougie537
    dougie537 Posts: 20
    6 of us are setting off on a short tour of France in May:

Eastbourne - Dover - Calais - Dieppe - Newhaven - Eastbourne.

Ive just bought "EIGO" panniers £35 for a pair (40litres), Really pleased with the quality, & they say they will fit "most racks"
  • We'll look into the luggage courier service, could be a good idea that as we both have got glass backs. We did Penrith allenheads too, both really nice places. Definitely wont be going to Sunderland again as long as I've got my strength. Definitely need to do it in 3 days as we are on a budget and don't want to spend too much on accommodation.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    compo wrote:
    Oh and never go to Sunderland.
    ^^
  • compo wrote:
    I did it over 4 days the other year. I think it can easily be done in 3.

4 days is the enjoyable way to do it. 3 is the usual way.

But you can do it in 2. 8)
    Did it last year. But I will never do it again (unless someone lends me a road bike). Too much like hard work.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)