Time to update the brakes

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

It's time the Formula ORO's were put out to retirement... I'm looking at spending up to about £250 on a set of new brakes for the meta. Main duties will be UK trail centre red route type riding with occasional holidays to the Alps etc. Anyone got any advice (or ones to avoid)? I loved the ORO's stopping power, however they've been a pain to maintain (sticking pistons etc) and for some reason new brake pads seem to be too tight a fit (see maintenance moan). So far I've been drawn to the XT's and Magura MT4's, anything else worth adding to the list?

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    gregwari wrote:
    Hi all

It's time the Formula ORO's were put out to retirement... I'm looking at spending up to about £250 on a set of new brakes for the meta. Main duties will be UK trail centre red route type riding with occasional holidays to the Alps etc. Anyone got any advice (or ones to avoid)? I loved the ORO's stopping power, however they've been a pain to maintain (sticking pistons etc) and for some reason new brake pads seem to be too tight a fit (see maintenance moan). So far I've been drawn to the XT's and Magura MT4's, anything else worth adding to the list?

I'd get a set of new SLX. Live in the Alps and they are awesome. Saying that you can get a set of XT's from Rose for about £150 so I'd probably go for those and pocket the change
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    In fact they're (XT's) only £170 (a set) on CRC, free delivery and the right way 'round...probably worth the tenner more than Rose after you've counted in delivery from Germany

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I'm very happy with new Shimano XT brakes. The bite the pads have is amazing and here is plenty of modulation so you can control that power properly.

Also tried the SLX brakes and they felt exactly the same. I believe they are virtually the same with the XT being a bit lighter.

Chances are the hoses will be very long so you will need to cut hoses and bleed anyway which is same as swapping the hose so right hand is front brake. So if buying from Europe is much cheaper go for it.
  • felix.london
    +1 ^^

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    XT and SLX are mechanically identical, just as you say a bit more money spent on less weight, pads are the same so power will be the same (within test to test variation!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Even the new Deores are very good so the XT's & SLX's should be superb. I have also got Zee's, a bit overkill for a trail bike but the best brakes I have used.
  • felix.london
    Even the new Deores are very good so the XT's & SLX's should be superb. I have also got Zee's, a bit overkill for a trail bike but the best brakes I have used.

Putting Zee's on the Session this season. £200 a set seems like a good price and just gotta get shot of the Elixr R's that are on there now...they were never great but after I put the SLX's on 'hopper they seem even worse in comparison

Trek Session 8
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Surly Zee's are just a poor man's Saints?
  • rockmonkeysc

To use them you cant tell the difference, they feel identical. There is just a very small difference in weight and the Saints have ice tech pads (zee are ice tech compatible) but I wouldn't say it's enough to justify the price difference.
  • felix.london

Exactly why I'm getting them!

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    If Zee wasn't an option I'd happily put a set of SLX on the Session that's how impressed with the SLX I am but couldn't warrant spending £300 on the Saints unless I was racing every week

Trek Session 8
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I've got SLX's on the session and they are just brilliant. Bedded them in at Antur Stiniog on sunday and there's lots of power there. No sign of fade whatsoever. From top to bottom there's just so much power available with single finger braking.
    Re weight, t'is a bit of a myth according to the photo's I found on sicklines. They have XT 785's and SLX 675's and the weight is the same.

here you go

xt
    640249d1315886299-2012-xt-m785-weighed-dsc00239.jpg

slx
    640963d1316222858-2012-xt-vs-slx-brakes-dsc00244.jpg
  • The Rookie
    Can't find either on sicklines........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DodgeT
    My bad, it was mtbr, pics are above anyway.
  • The Rookie
    Interesting, hose length looks pretty similar as well, claimed weight difference is only about 10g anyway from memory, lever blade is meant to be different and XT to have ceramic pistons.
  • DodgeT
    Interesting, hose length looks pretty similar as well, claimed weight difference is only about 10g anyway from memory, lever blade is meant to be different and XT to have ceramic pistons.

same as the M675.
  • The Rookie
    OK....none the less I'm surprised they are the same, of course there could be a number of valid explanations why a few g saving didn't materialise.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Do the SLX brakes have the ice tech pads? They must add a little weight.
  • DodgeT
    Me too, funny that there are no detailed descriptions on shimano website, but the info given on rosebikes is very simlar for both the SLX and XT. Not saying it's 100% correct, but the pics show the weight as the same, they look pretty much the same bar the shiny cap and mine certainly have the ceramic pistons.

slx desc;

· fully hydraulic disc brake
    · higher braking power thanks to Servo Wave
    · opposed 2-piston system*²
    · 1,5-finger lever
    · no tools required to adjust lever reach
    · for handlebar Ø: 22,2 mm
    Front wheel brake: left brake lever BL-M675, brake calliper BR-M675 Postmount with G01A pads, 1,000 mm cable (trimmable), incl. mineral oil (filled ready for mounting). Without brake disc and adapter!*8 You need e.g. the brake disc SM-RT67 or, for 6-holes, the SM-RT66. For a fork with Postmount in combination with a 160 mm disc, you do not need an adapter.
    Caution! As the pistons for BR-M675 are made of ceramic, they must not be pushed back with a metal tool.

xt desc:

fully hydraulic disc brake with automatic pad adjustment
    · opposed 2-piston system*2 (oversized
    ceramic pistons)
    · brake lever with Servo Wave mechanism for faster response, higher braking power and optimal dosing (25% higher braking
    performance compared to the BR-M975)
    · 1,5 finger brake lever with divided clamping shell and non-slip surface
    · grip width adjustable without tools
    · adjustable brake lever (free stroke)
    · incl. trimmable plastic cable
    · brake lever only suitable for hydraulic disc brakes
    Front wheel brake: left brake lever BL-M785, brake calliper BR-M785 Postmount with G01A pads,
  • DodgeT
    Do the SLX brakes have the ice tech pads? They must add a little weight.

You can see them in the picture, so weight comparisons are like for like.
    Some are supplied with, some without, mine were without.
  • jairaj
    Oh bugger I could've saved a few bob and gone for the SLX.
  • DodgeT
    jairaj wrote:
    Oh bugger I could've saved a few bob and gone for the SLX.

But your happy with them and you have shiny reservoir caps so alls good.
  • jairaj
    yes you are right they are very shiny so I guess I did win! :)