Depressing Commute Ever!!!

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Thought I would rant a bit, I had bike problems with my usual commuter bike 19lb bike which is in the shop now, had to use spare bike which weighs 24lbs and less gears, I didnt think it would make much difference, I had a tail wind behind me which is worse, I was over taken by flat bar bikes mountain bikes, I think 5 - 10 people passed me out, I am not used to being passed out on my commute the weight and gears makes such a difference. Has anyone else found this? I am now considering buying a 16lb racing bike only for races on long rides though.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It's almost certainly you having a bad day. MTFU
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Did you get to work and not die? Then I would say it was a sucessful commute. Perhaps its time to realise that worrying about whom passes you really doesn't matter.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    My winter bike must weigh more than that and i have no problem keeping up with folks riding their carbon bling! Get some more muscle in them legs. Hell, start riding the heavyweight more often as extra training, all pays off in the end.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I can't commute at the moment (2 1/2 months now) as I've done my knee. I long for a slow ride on a heavy bike...
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I see you and raise you...for the past couple of days, due to a trapped nerve in my back, I've been travelling at about 7-9mph...which means being passed by every other cyclist as well as the occasional JOGGER. Now that, sir, is a lesson in humiliation.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    menthel wrote:
    Did you get to work and not die? Then I would say it was a sucessful commute. Perhaps its time to realise that worrying about whom passes you really doesn't matter.

Wow, is that the gauge of a successful commute these days? Simply making it to work without going under the wheels of a bus?!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    menthel wrote:

Wow, is that the gauge of a successful commute these days? Simply making it to work without going under the wheels of a bus?!

I would say any commute that gets you to work is sucessful. I even include the one where I got a puncture, fixed it, tore the valve off as I was inflating with the mini pump and then had to walk to the LBS with my poor steed in tow. Perhaps I may have been a little melodramatic about the dying thing... ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Watch this: http://youtu.be/GCtHmrDU8YE it might make you feel better about your commute.

Probably going to cycle home this way tonight.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Watch this: http://youtu.be/GCtHmrDU8YE it might make you feel better about your commute.

I hate you!!!! :wink:

That looks amazing - like the bumpy part at the end :D

A bit more inviting than the Clyde walkway although I didn't see any deer leaping out in front of you (as I've had four times now in the dark). Now it's getting lighter the deer have been replaced by neds... :(
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712

Maybe I should get a headcam

No rivers but there are good stretches in the Peak
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's why I got mine.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Going back to the OP's post, I used my mountain bike today for the 40 mile round trip and despite it being heavier, enjoyed every minute (once my toes had warmed up after 8 miles).

Having a choice of bike and then enjoying the different ways they ride is part of the fun for me and keeps the journey fresh.

I don't mind (too much) getting passed by other cyclists as it doesn't happen that often and I console myself thinking that most of them have only just set off from the centre of Glasgow when I've already done about 15 miles. Back when I was racing I wouldn't let anyone pass, but that was part of the training :D

Cycling to station tomorrow morning, then got a very hilly route planned home. Can see me down in some microscopic gears on the MTB for a few miles on the serious stuff, but should get in high 40's (that's mph not inches) on one of the decents :lol:
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Who cares about the weight? Stop moaning and churn those cranks!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    It could be a lot worse, you could be on the bus.
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    Thought I would rant a bit, I had bike problems with my usual commuter bike 19lb bike which is in the shop now, had to use spare bike which weighs 24lbs and less gears, I didnt think it would make much difference, I had a tail wind behind me which is worse, I was over taken by flat bar bikes mountain bikes, I think 5 - 10 people passed me out, I am not used to being passed out on my commute the weight and gears makes such a difference. Has anyone else found this? I am now considering buying a 16lb racing bike only for races on long rides though.
    This is a good thing right? Gets you fitter.