Cycling clubs. Distances and average speeds.

middersp
middersp Posts: 15
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Just got myself a Triban 5A (very impressed) and was thinking of joining a cycling club. What sort of distances and average speeds do club rides typically aim for in terms of differing groups of abilities? Thanks

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    If you can find a larger club with more members they'll likely have different club runs to suit all abilities and you can move up the groups as you get fitter. As an example, our club offers these below.

It's great to ride with clubs as you'll push yourself more, have help if you break down in the middle of nowhere and have an excuse to stop for cake.

•Level 1 – Fast paced ride - suitable for riders wishing to build condition and form for racing or major challenges. This is the ride for the quickest riders in the club but that doesn't mean it's always ridden flat out! The terrain ridden is progressively varied through the year to build condition and to suit race schedules but is often a rolling route. Typically 70+ miles, average speed 19 mph+. Earlier start time of usually 7:30am.

•Level 2 - Medium to fast paced ride - suitable for regular, fitter riders who plan to progress to race or are training for sportives. Stops only to regroup and for punctures. Typically 50-65 miles, average speed 16-18 mph depending on terrain.

•Level 3 - Medium to fast paced ride - suitable for regular riders and sportive training. Sessions will be focused on different types of training throughout the year to build base fitness and hill climbing strength. Some more technical sections and steep hills. Stops to regroup and for punctures. Total ascent about 1000-1300 metres. Typically 43-50 miles, average speed 14.5-16 mph.

•Level 4 - Medium paced ride - suitable for regular riders. Some technical sections and hills. Stops to regroup for punctures and refreshments. Total ascent approx 1000 metres. Typically 38-43 miles, average speed 13.5-15 mph.

•Level 5 - Medium paced ride - suitable for most fit riders, no major difficulties in terrain, but challenge yourself on some of the testing hills on the ride. Stops to regroup and for punctures, refreshments. Total ascent up to 1000 metres. Typically 32-37 miles in 2.5-3 hours, average speed 13-14 mph.

•Level 6 – Easy to mid paced ride - suitable for most regular riders, no major difficulties in terrain, avoiding the steeper hills on the North Downs. Stops to regroup and for punctures, refreshments. Typically 27-32 miles in 2.5-3 hours, average speed 11-13 mph.

•Level 7 – Easy paced ride - suitable for beginners, those new to club riding, and those wanting a more leisurely introduction to the weekend. Stops to regroup and for punctures and refreshments. Typically 20-27 miles in 2-2.5 hours, average speed 10-12 mph.
  • middersp
    Thanks londoncommuter for such a comprehensive reply. Looks like I need to start with a Level 4 and look to progress to Level 3.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Remember not all clubs are the same, nor will use the same language. And not all clubs have the membership to put out 7+ groups anyway.

People might know the club you're likely to join and give more specific advice. Always start on an easier group than you think, and learn how to ride in a group...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I would think that 7 groups is a rarity. My club run on a Sunday can see 50+ riders (on a sunny day!) and there are just 3 rides available.

Group 1 50-70 miles usually between 19-22 mph depending on terrain

Group 2 35-50 miles at approx 17mph

Group 3 30-40 miles at approx 15mph
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I agree - 7 runs is huge and must be fairly unusual (we're up to around 300 members now).

Another club I'm in has around 100 members and runs 2 or 3 different groups depending on demand.

If you mention where you live we can all try and sign you up to our clubs!
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    most clubs have only two groups. The psychos and the cafe mob.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited April 2013
    middersp wrote:
    Just got myself a Triban 5A (very impressed) and was thinking of joining a cycling club. What sort of distances and average speeds do club rides typically aim for in terms of differing groups of abilities? Thanks

Many/most clubs will have atleast one group doing a 60-80 mile ride at 16-18 mph avg on a Sunday - remember, it's considerably easier doing those kinds on avg's in a group as opposed to doing them on your own. If you can do a 15-16 mph avg over 50 miles solo, you 'should' be able to manage a typical club run. Remember also that you can pick and choose your club runs - one week might be a flat (2500 ft 70 miler) and the next week might be a rolling/hilly (5000 ft 70 miler) - pick and choose what weeks you want to go out if your new to club runs - (check the club's site and see if they've got any upcoming route profiles).
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    For what its worth my club has groups for club runs. From the fastest down to an intro group who have a 'go as fast as the slowest person' rule. Distances tend to vary from 30 to 60 miles depending on who is leading and which group you are in.

As per others if you put up where you are based perhaps some other BR members might know the clubs you would be looking at?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • middersp
    Thanks for all your helpful replies.
    As a relative newbie to a road bike (after 25 years of using a MTB on the road / light off-road) I was looking to gauge what is a realistically achievable speed / distance for me to start at without making a complete arse of myself. I know of a couple of clubs in my area and will look to try them out over the next couple of months.
    Thanks again.
    P.S I wish I'd switched to a road bike much earlier in life, but as they say, 'Better late than never'
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    nochekmate wrote:
    I would think that 7 groups is a rarity. My club run on a Sunday can see 50+ riders (on a sunny day!) and there are just 3 rides available.

Group 1 50-70 miles usually between 19-22 mph depending on terrain

Group 2 35-50 miles at approx 17mph

Group 3 30-40 miles at approx 15mph

IME with the club I am in it is Group 2 to 1 depending on who turns up.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wouldn't pay too much attention to average speed. Riding in the group is a lot faster and a lot easier on the legs, especially if it is flat.

Turn up and see. Make sure you know the roads and have a route home to ride in case it is too fast.

Make it clear that is the plan at the start so the group don't worry too much and enjoy it.