Help Cutting fat Scott Spark RC 2013

eimart
eimart Posts: 52
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello guys,
I need some suggestions of upgrade to cut some weight of my Spark 2013. Here is the actual config.

Frame Scott Spark 900 RC 2013
Wheels Mavic Crossmax SLR 2013
Rear Tire Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29" SS 2.25
Front Tire Schwalbe Rocket Ron Snakeskin 29" 2.25
Tire Selant Stan's Notubes
Fork Fox 32 F29 100 CTD Fit Remote Fork 2013
Stem Ritchey WCS C-260 90mm
Quick Releases Fox (Front) ; Dt Swiss (Rear)
Cables Shimano
Headset Ritchey Pro Tapered
Front Derailleur Shimano XTR FD-M985 E-Type
Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR RD-M986 Shadow P.
Seatpost Ritchey WCS 1-BOLT 400mm
Seatclamp SCOTT superlight Seatclamp
Cassete Shimano XTR CS-M980-10 11-36T
Chain KMC X10SL DLC Superlite
Spacer Scott Carbon
Front Brake Shimano XTR Trail BR-M988
Rear Brake Shimano XTR Trail BR-M988
Front Rotor ASHIMA Ai2 160mm
Rear Rotor ASHIMA Ai2 160mm
Handlebar Ritchey Wcs 2x Trail 700mm
Grips Ritchey Wcs Ergo
Pedals Crank Brothers Eggbeater 3
Crankset Shimano XTR M985
Saddle TIOGA SPYDER TWINTAIL
Shifters Shimano XTR M980 I-Spec
BB Shimano BB-91A Press Fit
Extras Shelter Frame Protective Adhesive Kit Clear
Twinloc Remote Control Shifter
Blackburn Camber CF Cage Carbon
Garmin K-Edge Support

Ive already changes the Bottle Cage, Stem and Front and Rear Der. bolts all to Titanium.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks a lot,

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remove the Garmin?

The only Ritchey WCS part I had wasn't that light, would suggest weighing all the WCS parts (stem, bars, post) as well as the Tioga saddle, also the grips - are they push or lock on, push fit are much lighter.

You can get lighter than the Crossmax, but that won't be cheap!

Shimano XTR brakes are nice, but they aren't as light as some of the competition, I wouldn't have SRAM, but Formula are worth considering.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • How much does the bike currently weigh? The spec is really good, I think by replacing bolts you may have already answered your own question...
  • eimart
    i was looking for a light weight Seatpost, because the one that i am using is Alloy , not Carbon, i want tomething light but not as expensive as a Schmolke.
    Was thinking about the Ritchey Wcs Carbon 1-Bolt, weight around 200g (USD 186.00), or maybe a Easton EC90 Carbon, around 190g, (USD 109.00), or even a eBay Hylix Seatpost, around 180g (USD 70.00). But i weight 220lbs , i dont know if i can trust a Hylix Seatpost with 220 lbs.
    Any suggestions for a nice and reliable Carbon Seatpost around USD 100.00 , USD 150.00 ?
    And where to buy it online to be sure that its not a counterfeit.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    Are you in the US or UK (this is a UK based forum, so most our buying knowledge is European) or somewhere else?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Check out New Ultimate for a lightweight post - they do 34.9. I may even have one still (used to be the UK distributor), they're about 140g IIRC.

Those saddles are pretty light (135g), with a build like that you'll be spending big money, or making small gains, or both.

- Ward Industries ti spindles in the pedals.
    - alu bolts in the bottle cage, mechs, headset

I'd consider doing your wheels rather than seatpost. You'll save 100g on your seatpost at most and it'll cost £100+, you'll get good money for the SLRs, and could custom build something a good couple of hundred grams lighter - DT240s on Alpines (or something carbon) for example.
  • eimart
    The Beginner, thanks for the help, i can ship to Switzerland or to United States. So any website that ships to Europe and/or to United States is good to go for me. Any suggestions of Lightweight and safe Seatpost ?

Thanks
  • eimart
    njee20 do you think this New Ultimate Carbon Seatpost 31.6 x 350 mm is safe for my 220lbs weight ? Or do i need a 400mm one ?
    And also do you know what website can i find the Ward Industries ti spindles to replace on the Eggbeaters ?
    Why alu bolts in the bottle cage, mechs, headset ? i already have Titanium bolts on them. :)

I will think about the DT240s on Alpines, thank you very much !
  • njee20
    njee20 do you think this New Ultimate Carbon Seatpost 31.6 x 350 mm is safe for my 220lbs weight ? Or do i need a 400mm one ?

Not really, 95kg limit. I didn't realise it was one of 'those' projects. May I suggest losing a bit of weight?
    And also do you know what website can i find the Ward Industries ti spindles to replace on the Eggbeaters ?

eBay
    Why alu bolts in the bottle cage, mechs, headset ? i already have Titanium bolts on them

Alu is half the weight and 20% the cost of ti.
  • The Rookie
    supersonic wrote:
    Foam grips?
    Ritchey Ergo are foam....can be lock or slide on though, slide being a lot lighter.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah, I though they were those shaped rubber ones lol.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
  • eimart
    Diet already ON
    :)
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Fair enough, to be honest I would stick with that first as that's going to be you biggest benefit. You have a very well spec'd bike and I guess money isn't too much an issue but I don't think you'll see much gain ride wise no matter what you spend until your a few stone lighter just keep at it.
  • njee20
    Seems unlikely with a front mech in the spec...
  • The Rookie
    1x conversion will save you about 200g.....
  • njee20
    Or go XX1 if you think it'll be too much of a compromise.
  • i'd be weary goign for a single bolt seat post with your current weight, (pretty much the same weight as me) the single bolt ones often work loose if your not a whippet racer, can become very annoying!!!

the bike spec is pretty blimmen good and like all the others have said, you'll be spending lots for minimal weight loss, your best bet is without doubt personal weight,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481