Help needed with Windows Phone 8 and Google

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
I've just got a Nokia Lumia 620 phone and I want to be able to sync my Google Calendar to it but Microsoft and Google don't play nicely with each other. I've read a few websites which tell me what to do but its just not happening.

Has anyone else tried this and if so, how did you do it?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    Beuller?...
    Beuller?...

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    windows phone 8 is an abomination. send it back and get an android phone
  • http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-900/190518-google-calendar-sync-problem.html this worked for me on my nokia 820

Have a to and see what happens.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    According to Google, they're supporting EAS until August, when MS will implement CalDAV & CardDav, so it ought to work, but maybe the two are having a quarrel...

Here's a guide to setting it up. If it doesn't work, consider switching to an Outlook account.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Windose :shock: and windose on a phone :(

FAIL
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've just got a Nokia Lumia 620 phone

For the love of God, Why?

I realise this is not helpful.
  • itboffin
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've just got a Nokia Lumia 620 phone

I realise this is not helpful.

No just FACTual
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I've used android, IOS and WP8 and found them all to have good points and bad.

Itboffin I'd like to hear your case for windows phone being bad to the point of ditching the OS in favour of one of the others?
  • jamesco

Free, offline, worldwide satnav? The 620's a good phone at a really good price; if there's a better phone for less, it's arguably the Lumia 520 at £99 unlocked. Both are great choices.
  • itboffin
    well seeing as you're asking ...

being a pre MS era techie i've had some Windose experience including being an MS trainer, reseller, beta tester blah blah - anyway, too many lines of code, too late to the game bar one very famous win that springs to mind. MS aren't ever going to dominate the consumer device market as they were able to when establishing a hold in the emerging PC market and they know this too, this is not news to anyone, but not to compete would be foolish if not fatal. I've suffered my way through many an MS trail / product launch and ranges over the years and no doubt will continue to do so for a few more, competition is the key to progress and i'm glad they're playing their part in that respect as will I.

IMO Apple are on the cusp if they continue down the route of closed source they'll fail back to nothing, linux is on the verge again of doing the same, appealing to the general non techie market is a good move but at the peril of compatibility and performance (unity desktop for example) not a good move, Google however is very interesting, they have a million and one beta / lab programmes some like maps are amazing, some well just need some work but fundamentally they have the techs and mentality to make it work, trying out pretty much all the options - MS, Novell, SCO and dozen more companies have sort of tried but all are missing the creative flare to take it past a couple of good ideas to truly new technological generation.

Incidentally i've worked for all of those companies to name but a few over the years, I'm most likely too old and uncool for google now :lol: which is a shame.

but i think I know what i'm talking about when it comes to IT and the Internet after all Tim Berners Lee said I was evil for my part in making the Internet a cough "better" place to be.
  • itboffin
    Ooo I may have unintentionally omitted the simplified answer there

in short MS have once again over complicated the software, its to big and bloated, whoever wrote the live tiles code needs a kick in the arse.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    itboffin wrote:
    Ooo I may have unintentionally omitted the simplified answer there

in short MS have once again over complicated the software, its to big and bloated, whoever wrote the live tiles code needs a kick in the ars*.
    On the up side it doesn't make your eyes bleed, unlike Android.
    Still waiting for someone to help me replace my iPhone, as I'm also thinking Apple's 15 minutes may be up. Just need Google or MS to step up.

</semiserioustroll>
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    With you on that dhope, i've switched to a cheap monthly sim until something comes along to replace my 4s, very tempted by the Nexus 4, really digging Google at the moment, chrome, music and drive are ace!

Rather buy a Nexus 4 outright than pay through the nose for another 18+ month iPhone contract. Need to wean myself off apple, the new iTunes is awful.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    I had a windows phone 7.

I now have a google nexus 4.

There is no comparison.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    itboffin wrote:
    IMO Apple are on the cusp if they continue down the route of closed source they'll fail back to nothing.

Apple's original iphone was way behind the cutting edge in terms of both hardware specs and software capabilities when it launched 6 years ago. Through successive iterations they have never caught up or kept apace. That hasn't stopped the iphone's success, so why should things change now? I read yesterday that apple has gained market share from android in the US over the past 3 months and I was under the impression that the uptake in the far east is rapid too. It's very much the safe/lazy choice, for those who can't be bothered/are too cautious to try something different and who actually believe the all-pervasive marketing tripe. Why will it fail?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    vermin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    IMO Apple are on the cusp if they continue down the route of closed source they'll fail back to nothing.

Apple's original iphone was way behind the cutting edge in terms of both hardware specs and software capabilities when it launched 6 years ago. Through successive iterations they have never caught up or kept apace. That hasn't stopped the iphone's success, so why should things change now? I read yesterday that apple has gained market share from android in the US over the past 3 months and I was under the impression that the uptake in the far east is rapid too. It's very much the safe/lazy choice, for those who can't be bothered/are too cautious to try something different and who actually believe the all-pervasive marketing tripe. Why will it fail?

Is quite a dynamic market, but yes apple stuff tends not to be cutting edge, mind you they at least support their older stuff for a good while, Android I AM looking at you, Boff is certinaly right about windows/nokia stuff one of my colleges has one it's a vile phone, cheap for the hardware but the software is awful.
  • itboffin
    My contract is up today in fact and I was going to hold out for the Samsung S4 but to be honest the native Jellybean 4.x on the Nexus 4 is a thing of beauty, so I just ordered two one for me and one for the Mrs.

Samsung is very good but lacks the OS updates of pure Google products and i'm not a huge fan of the vendor software overlays even if they do offer some coolish features or some frankly crap heavy weight limitations, yes you HTC sense - NO!

mmmm Jellybeans
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    itboffin wrote:
    well seeing as you're asking ...

being a pre MS era techie i've had some Windose experience including being an MS trainer, reseller, beta tester blah blah - anyway, too many lines of code, too late to the game bar one very famous win that springs to mind. MS aren't ever going to dominate the consumer device market as they were able to when establishing a hold in the emerging PC market and they know this too, this is not news to anyone, but not to compete would be foolish if not fatal. I've suffered my way through many an MS trail / product launch and ranges over the years and no doubt will continue to do so for a few more, competition is the key to progress and i'm glad they're playing their part in that respect as will I.

IMO Apple are on the cusp if they continue down the route of closed source they'll fail back to nothing, linux is on the verge again of doing the same, appealing to the general non techie market is a good move but at the peril of compatibility and performance (unity desktop for example) not a good move, Google however is very interesting, they have a million and one beta / lab programmes some like maps are amazing, some well just need some work but fundamentally they have the techs and mentality to make it work, trying out pretty much all the options - MS, Novell, SCO and dozen more companies have sort of tried but all are missing the creative flare to take it past a couple of good ideas to truly new technological generation.

Incidentally i've worked for all of those companies to name but a few over the years, I'm most likely too old and uncool for google now :lol: which is a shame.

but i think I know what i'm talking about when it comes to IT and the Internet after all Tim Berners Lee said I was evil for my part in making the Internet a cough "better" place to be.
    Very informed answer! Have you thought about changing your username to something which reflects all this knowledge you have?
  • kelsen
    itboffin wrote:
    the native Jellybean 4.x on the Nexus 4 is a thing of beauty, so I just ordered two one for me and one for the Mrs.
    I did this recently. One for me and one for the Mrs. Delighted with it she was. What I didn't tell her was I bought 2 accidentally cos I screwed the order up whilst rushing to catch a plane on a business trip and couldn't be arsed returning the extra one and having to pay postage. Great phone by the way.
  • itboffin
    Usernames yes interesting one that, I was unclebadtouch on twitter but changed it for obvious reasons, i've been itboffin since domains became available, I was being trained to create and manage them so did, in fact like lots of people I had hundreds of different ones, all very very silly.
  • itboffin
    kelsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    the native Jellybean 4.x on the Nexus 4 is a thing of beauty, so I just ordered two one for me and one for the Mrs.
    I did this recently. One for me and one for the Mrs. Delighted with it she was. What I didn't tell her was I bought 2 accidentally cos I screwed the order up whilst rushing to catch a plane on a business trip and couldn't be arsed returning the extra one and having to pay postage. Great phone by the way.

I'm very much looking forward to the arrive of said new gadgets, I already have a Nexus 7 tablet which is frankly to dogs dangly

Have you tried the wireless charging yet?
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    ...I'm most likely too old and uncool for google now :lol: which is a shame.
    A bit like a great grandmother who still wears miniskirts and goes clubbing, thinking she was 'down with the kids'. Seriously though, a very insightful comment, just not much help to me now. I'll have a look at jamesco and jamm13dodger's links later.

• kelsen
    itboffin wrote:
    Didn't even know I could do that without bolting on a 3rd party accessory! :shock:

Doesn't appear to be an official charger for it though, or am I wrong?
  • itboffin
    kelsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Didn't even know I could do that without bolting on a 3rd party accessory! :shock:

Doesn't appear to be an official charger for it though, or am I wrong?

They sell it in the google store US
  • My nokia 820 came with the charging plate and the appropriate NFC charging shell. Quite handy but it is flat rather than vertical like my old iphone dock. Makes the live tile updates a bit pointless when they aren't easy to see.

I actually really like the windows phone OS. There are some glaring issues though. Latest one I've found is that I can't see where the space I'm using is actually used. Is it that hard to include a file explorer program as standard?
  • jamesco
    My nokia 820 came with the charging plate and the appropriate NFC charging shell. Quite handy but it is flat rather than vertical like my old iphone dock. Makes the live tile updates a bit pointless when they aren't easy to see.
    Good point, might be worth getting an after-market one as the Qi standard should be widely supported for a while. Some of the cooler ones are Asia-only, for now.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i bought a QI charger from ebay for my boss. it broke after 4 weeks.

im jealous of those with nexii 4. i have a 7 and its incredible. my S3 is nice but i have to run a custom rom because touchwiz and the samsung software is absolute shite.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Nothing to do with the original question but I have had my Nexus 4 for 3 weeks now and I absolutely love it.

Mrs EC doesn't like it, thinks it's too big...never heard her say that before!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I am very tempted by one and when I am out of contract I will get one or the follow up as I am in love with my nexus 7
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I love my Galaxy Nexus so much that I'm considering a Nexus 10 tablet to complete my ecosystem. Also ITB is right, Apple is whereNokia was when the first iPhone came out - or there abouts. They are stuck in a design rut - the screen dimensions on the iphone 5 is stupid - and they are starting to stagnate. Nokia phones are great, but they need android to make them relevant.

Windows Phone 8 requires me to relearn what some symbols mean and that immediately tells me the GUI is not as intuitive as it should be. Blackberry, need 5 more years if they can avoid folding in the first 2. Their new OS and phones are the base but not the version that will make them a major player.

Android is where it is at, and vanilla Android is proving to be far better than the overlay versions from HTC, Samsung et al.

Also can't stand Samsungs saturation sales technique - 2 10.1 tablets (Note and Galaxy), really!?

This post may not add anything to the original post...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game