Giant trance 29er size ?????

benengland
benengland Posts: 11
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

So I have been given the chance to buy a giant trance 2013 29er x1 but this is my first time with a 29er and I am not sure on the sizes. I am currently riding a 26 2010 trance in a medium and it is a ok fit. But I have had a look at the 29er in a shop and to me the medium looks like a large!!!

My inside leg is 28-29 and I am 5'8 and shrinking with age.

Should I go for a small (I have not found a shop that has it in this size so I don't know how much smaller it will feel cf the medium.

I's there anyone with a similar build who has this bike?

Ben

Comments

• I have a similar build so maybe I can help. I'm 5'8" (I wear 32 cm trousers but have never measured my 'inseam') and ride a 54cm road bike and had a medium 26er (not a giant). I bought a giant xtc hardtail 29er a couple of years ago (in medium) and bought a giant anthem 29er last year in small.
    Giant MTBs don't seem to have that much difference between their top-tube lengths from small-medium.
    The reason i went with the small anthem (over the medium) is that it gave me more standover clearence and more saddle height relative to the bar height (lower front end - a big factor with 29ers).
    I don't know how the trance compares in geometry with the anthem but, as a shortarse with short legs, I have found the anthem very comfortable in the small size. Why don't you try the trance in medium and small to see the difference?
  • Thanks for the quick response and very useful advice, I am trying to find a shop with a small 29er in stock but no luck so far - but will keep trying.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd say a small but def try one first, I'm about 6ft and 32" inside leg and a medium was fine for me.
  • Cheers for the info. The sizing link suggests that I should go for a medium but it would be the bottom end of the medium. It also appears that both the smalls and mediums are like rocking horse poop to find in stock a the moment. So I will keep checking. At the moment I am tempted on the small.......it just feels odd ordering a small :-)