BMC 2013. How bad are they going to be?

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited April 2013 in Pro race
Thoughts?

They seem to have taken over from Rabobank's mantle as expensive and rubbish admirably.

Gilbert or Evans better pull his finger out soon or a team of 4 world champs will have nothing, not even a strong showing, to show for the one day season.

Terrible.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Gilbert's main objectives are all coming next week, so we'll see then. TJVG could get a podium in the Tour if things go well.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:
    Gilbert's main objectives are all coming next week, so we'll see then. TJVG could get a podium in the Tour if things go well.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say he's not shown much promise leading up to next week...
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Thoughts?

They seem to have taken over from Rabobank's mantle as expensive and rubbish admirably.

Gilbert or Evans better pull his finger out soon or a team of 4 world champs will have nothing, not even a strong showing, to show for the one day season.

Terrible.
    Just shows what young talent in OPQS have been able to do when their big boys have a bad time.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

It wouldn't be a stretch to say he's not shown much promise leading up to next week...

True, but he has the capability of finding form quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if he was up there in LBL.

Hushovd, on the other hand... sheesh... what happened to him?
  • rick_chasey
    Still recovering from that illness he had last season?

Thought he'd gotten over that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Hushovd did OK yesterday considering he had 3 mechanicals but his career is on the wane. TJVG is their big hope now but they need Evans to admit that and work with him.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Van Avermaet has done okay: 3rd at Ghent-Wevelgem, 5th at the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, 6th in the Strade Bianche, 7th in the Flanders and now 4th at Paris-Roubaix.

Since Hushovd had 3 punctures on Sunday, maybe there were some mistakes in the material selection for him, he weighs 5-10 kg more than the other BMC I noticed there (Van Avermaet, Schär, Burghardt).
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    It seems they are a team of fading superstars and young up and coming riders. Positives will be tjvg and Phinney this year, Gilbert needs to get his head and training right, I think this year is a year too far for the Norse god of thunder... As for Cadel, well, I think finishes outside of the top 10 will show his gradual decline. I agree Greg van Avermaert has been one of their best performers, so far.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Evans wasn't great last year and hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year either. Can't see him winning anything this season...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    afx237vi wrote:

Had a feeling he'd summon something for Paris-R: he appeared briefly on Cancellara's shoulder after his punctures/mechanicals which indicated great strength as it meant he'd gone through the lead peloton when it was starting to get grippy - maybe that massive display of ego was more detrimental than the mishaps?

Poor Sep V, though - will for evermore rue not waiting to sprint later...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    afx237vi wrote:

Too many birthdays?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!