Which knee pads?

rickypj
rickypj Posts: 42
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am fairly new to mtbing and I am riding places like Cannock and Hicks Lodge, I Think it would be a good idea to invest in some knee protection but just wanted some advice on what to go for.
661's, fox, alpinestars...? any body with any good or bad reviews on any knee pads please post up your thoughts to make my decision a bit easier. Cheers

Comments

• I shredded my knee the other day so i have been thinking about this too. I think the general advice is usually to go to a shop and try some on, then you can be sure you're getting the right size too
  • ga-rat
    ga-rat Posts: 29
    I bought some 661 Riot knee pads :D , I bought mine from my local Halfords :? using the reserve online, I saved 20% on the instore price and you can try them on. :shock:

Since my purchase I have fallen a few time and they have saved me, a few gashes on the pads would have been deep cuts on my knee. I wear them for 4+ hours on my local trails and they are really comfy, the only possible downside is that they are just knee pads, no shin protection. :D
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    I have the Fox Launch Pros. They seem to do fine and haven't moved in any crash I have had. Although I haven't had any big ones with them on touch wood.

Everyone always said go for the Large ones as the small ones were tiny. I bought both (to try on) and actually went with the smaller one (and even they are almost too big at this time of the year (when I haven't done much cycling)).
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Another vote for Launch Pros. The floating hardshell is quite good at absorbing impacts from typical Cannock low-sides but more importantly they encourage you to wear them because they're very comfortable. Rarely ride without mine even when it's hot. Top piece of kit.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I use Endura MT500's and they have been excellent, nice and light and don't get too hot either. I wouldn't be too worried about knee pads at hicks lodge though, more of cyclocross course than Mtb!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    g-form pads get my vote for XC stuff, if you're doing DH then a hardshell pad is probably better though. The g-forms really are comfy to use (and I've tried several other pads over the years that were supposedly comfy but weren't).